2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files

I've noticed that the files recorded on my Nanoflash have the 2 channels of audio I send embedded in my HD-SDI stream downmixed.

I'll have one channel as a wireless mic and the other the shotgun mic on my camera. I hear them as separate channels through the headphone port on the Nano. But for whatever reason, they are being mixed down. I've looked through the menus and everything seems correct.

has anyone else experienced this?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files

What are the audio settings on the Canon (menu audio settings & physical switch settings)?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
I've noticed that the files recorded on my Nanoflash have the 2 channels of audio I send embedded in my HD-SDI stream downmixed.

I'll have one channel as a wireless mic and the other the shotgun mic on my camera. I hear them as separate channels through the headphone port on the Nano. But for whatever reason, they are being mixed down. I've looked through the menus and everything seems correct.

has anyone else experienced this?
Assuming that the incoming SDI stream really does have two separate channels of audio, which your message indicates it does (hence you can hear them as discreet in the Nano headphone jack), the "problem" is with the setup in your editing program.

The Nano records each audio feed as a separate track, with each track set to mono. (As opposed to recording a single track with multiple audio channels). If you don't take this into account in your editor, it appears that all the tracks are mixed together. Doesn't matter if you have 2 or 4 or 8 channels of audio embedded in the incoming SDI stream. The tracks are actually not mixed together, it's just that your editing program is mixing them together. The solution is to tell your editing program to assign the tracks as you want them (normally track 1 to right channel, and track 2 to left channel, if you're recording in stereo, though in the case of recording a shotgun and a wireless mike, that's probably not what you want).

What program are you editing with?

Billy

ps: You might want to check out this thread from long ago, which goes into more detail on the subject.

Last edited by Billy Steinberg; July 6th, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Billy for your help.

Yes, you are correct... it seems the Nano is recording the 2 channels separately, but is panning each channel to the center.

If I pan to left and right respectively in FCP, I am hearing them both as stereo now.

Thanks for your insight!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Setting the audio in FCP to dual mono also helps with this problem.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey