New use for my nano...maybe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Major Player

New use for my nano...maybe?

I have moved over to FCP X and so far so good; it seems pretty stable with my nanoflash footage (in MOV format).

One problem I am encountering is trying to get some old HDV footage that had been previously saved to PC computers in a variety of codecs (matrox AVI and M2T formats) - FCPX is not playing nicely with them at all. Luckily I still have all of my old tapes and I have decided to recapture some key footage.

I was messing around with the nano today while it was connected to the camera, and rewinding a tape - and when I pressed play on the camera the nano started rolling and saved the HDV footage in the settings I usually use (.MOV @ 50mbs). It worked well on FCP X, and obviously it is the exact same codec I now use for everything else.

Using the nano as a capture device for old footage had not occurred to me until now, and while I understand that the footage is already compressed to the HDV format, it is nice to have the option of having a standard codec for new edits of old footage.

Is there anything to be lost by capturing old HDV footage on the nanoflash; is having it compressed twice going to cause problems with the footage that I have not thought of? Obviously the file sizes are a lot bigger than standard HDV, is there any benefit from having the extra 'space' in the files?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New use for my nano...maybe?

Dear Simon,

Using your camera (or other device) to play your tapes and record to the nanoFlash is certainly a painless way to get your footage into ".MOV" (Quicktime) or ".MXF", or even ".MPG" (prerendered file for SD DVD or HD BluRay format.

You should be happy with the quality of the recordings. The nanoFlash will faithfully record the quality of the video that it is provided. You can use the bit-rate/flavor of you choice.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Good to know, Dan, thanks. I'm going to get started with this and get some old stock footage updated. Very painless as you mention (there are a number of tiny 'misfire' files created from stopping the camera, but they are easily and quickly deleted when I log them onto the computer). Thanks as always for your speedy reply!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

If you are using our latest firmware 1.6.248, then the following will stop the nanoFlash from recording a small file when the camera's timecode changes inadvertently, as tape cameras sometimes do.

System|Timecode|Trigger Delay, set this value to 1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey