Small Camcorder Recommendations For Use With nanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Small Camcorder Recommendations For Use With nanoFlash

Can anybody recommend a small camcorder that works with a nanoFlash? My old Canon HV20 won't work (see thread) so I'm interested in something a bit more modern that WILL .

Obviously HDMI out and presumably AVCHD with a modern cam, (not that that will make any difference when recording to a nanoFlash)

I've been considering a Canon HF-G10 which rather expensive for what it is. Panasonic 900 looks lovely but 50p.

Grateful for any suggestions. My main set up is a Canon XLH1 but horribly un-wieldy what with heavy tripod, monitor, Nano, cables and batteries.

Presumably if codec not an issue then chip size and lens quality become deciding factors. I do wildlife so low light performance not a major issue. Decent zoom range though would be.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Small Camcorder Recommendations For Use With nanoFlash

Dear Ron,

For the nanoFlash:

We use a Canon HV30 every day in our testing of recorders.

We also use a HFs10. And we have one XL H1, one XL H1s, one XH G1,one Iconix, one Sony EX3 and one Sony F3 in our lab and testing areas. Another camera will be purchased soon.

We know that the Canon HV40 works, the XL H1, the XL H1s, the XH G1, the XF 305, the XF 105, any many others. We will be testing with the Canon C300 cameras as soon as practical.

We know that the Panasonic Varicam H, the HDX900, and many others work.

We know that the Sony EX1, Ex1R, EX3, PDW-700, PDW-F800, PMW-320, PMW-350, PMW-F3, PMW-500, F23, F35, SRW9000. And there are many others.

The PDW-700 and PDW-F800 cameras, in SD mode, do not work with the nanoFlash at this time.

We know that the Iconix cameras and the Toshiba POV cameras work.

Your issue with the HV20 may be a specific issue with your camera, (or may not), or may be an HDMI connector or cable issue.

I hope others with HV20 will report back their experiences with their camera and the nanoFlash.

The HV30 is a very similar camera which we have used for years to provide a valid video and audio test signal to banks of nanoFlashes while they are being tested in our burn-in chambers.

I believe, but am not positive that we have tested the ARRI ALEXA.

The Viper works also.

Please note that this list is not all inclusive.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Small Camcorder Recommendations For Use With nanoFlash

Hi Ron,

Oops didn`t notice this in time. I posted a reply with an experiment to show how I could make the HV40 work in your previous thread. In short, the way I made it work was to set the nano source to HDMI, plug in only one end of the HDMI cable (don`t forget to plug it into the IN socket of the nano) then turn everything on and wait until the nano settles down, then plug in the last connection of the HDMI cable. That worked every time. I noticed that sometimes it takes a few seconds for the cam and nano to find each other. The key for me was to use the HDMI cable as the final connection. Turning cam or nano off and on did not allow a connection.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey