green band on playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1
New Boot

green band on playback

Hello forum, have very recently become an owner driver of a nanoflash and still finding my way around the menus.
I have drawn a blank though on how to playback mov files without a green band bottom of frame on the output.
On the first occasion I and colleague did manage to deselect the green band on playback but have not a clue how we achieved it.
Some minutes later we needed to playback a subsequent mov file and no matter what we did the green band at bottom of frame refused to go away even though we selected/deselected various tick boxes in the menus.
In the last few days I have taken delivery of a 2nd nanoflash but this nanoflash also shows a green band on playback to tape/monitor.

Please let me into the secret of removing this band for playback purposes.
I can't find any mention of this feature in the forums or faq/manual so wondering what is occuring.

regards
phil
Phil Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: green band on playback

A red band across the bottom means the tally light option is selected for recording but not sure about a green band.

Sorry, probably a useless post.

Tim.
Old December 16th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Tim no, on the contrary all thoughts greatfully received, yes the red band I'm happily familiar with but the green one when transfering material for simple replay to monitor or to tape is a mystery.

My colleague and I thought it was a telltale to simply inform us we were in replay mode but as we cannot remove it for clean playouts from the nanoflash.
I thought the forum readers out there might have an answer.
What is more worrying is that I can't find any references to it in convergent design paperwork.

I should mention using the files from the cf cards we have no corruption of any kind and alls lovely.

Both nanoflashes have the latest sw in them.
Happy christmas
phil
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Phil,

It is good to know that your files are actually recording ok.

I have not heard of a "Green Band", at the bottom of the monitor, when playing back footage from the nanoFlash.

I know of no setting in the nanoFlash that would cause this.

Are you recording HD or SD?

I am alerting our support team.
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
New Boot

Hello Dan, grateful for your thoughts, we are recording sd,... as I say occuring on both nanoflashes, I will see if its present on playback of mxf files as well,... be back to you in a while.

phil
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6
New Boot

Dan, the green band is present whether SD mov or SD mxf files being played back to a monitor ...see attached jpg...
regards phil
Attached Thumbnails
green band on playback-green-band.jpg  
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Phil,

Feel free to contact us directly,

Support | Convergent Design

What camera are you using?

Are you shooting NTSC or Pal? if shooting NTSC, do you know if the camera outputs 480i or 486i?

Also have you verified it is not in the footage?

And lastly have you tried playback to a different monitor?

Best Regards
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #8
New Boot

Andy thankyou will get back to support but want to do a couple more tests first ...phil
Old December 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Andy/Dan
All sorted I think.
In answer to Andy's query, I had tried playback to more than one monitor so the the answer is yes more than one monitor used .... sony 9inch and 14inch crt and both had the green band showing bottom of screen. (see previous post with picture)

Source feed to the nanoflash was a panasonic vision mixer.
Footage from cf cards on edius timeline showed no corruption whatsoever.

The one thing I had not done was inspect the material being transfered to tape on the recording day (for edit by others) and watched it back, ....all I had seen was the material on the monitor (complete with green band) on its way across to the tape deck.

A few minutes ago I restaged the setup, transfering cf material to tape (green band present) but this time playing back that material to same 14 inch monitor.... result, no green band recorded to tape or visible on the sony monitor.
Inspecting the position of the green band showed it did not encroach into picture area comparing recorded with live..... so for some reason live sdi material passing through monitor added several lines of green in the area below the bottom of picture but with no ill effect to recorded material.

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of imagination so will leave the theory to others.
Just looks to me like a crt fault/querk on two mature sd/sdi monitors and nothing sinister.

Time to enjoy Christmas now and leave the worries behind unless someone knows different !
phil
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Almost looks like the old Sony monitor internal wire line.
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #11
New Boot

Dusty
maybe sony ran short of the correct support wire and had some 3mm stuff laying around during manufacture !!
Phil Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey