HUGE TIP For Premiere Pro CS5 Users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Trustee

HUGE TIP For Premiere Pro CS5 Users

Let me preface this by saying that I can't guarantee this will work for everyone.

I just was watching PPro conform 18 nanoFlash clips (63GB) and watching my PC's ram usage so I could close the project and restart due to PPro's ram issue with nanoFlash files. I noticed that PPro was able to constantly reduce the ram usage after a clip was conformed, which happened for 9 clips. Then, I unplugged my USB drive which I use for transferring files between my studio PC (where I am) and my home PC. After unplugging, I noticed PPro went back to its usual process of eating up all my ram during the conforming of nano files. So, I plugged my USB drive back in ....and guess what .... PPro started reducing the ram usage all on its own. This is the 1st time I have ever been able to import more than 24GB of nanoFlash files and conform them without having to close the project in order to recycle the ram usage.

Fellow CS5 users - please try using any USB drive you have and report back. It might sound odd, but the USB port being used could play a role in all of this. I was using one of the front USB ports on my HP Z800.

Dan et al - can you try this in your lab and report back?

UPDATE: I just created a new project for last night's event with 68GB of nanoFlash files and PPro didn't automatically recycle the ram BUT I used Device Manager and "Scan for hardware changes" which caused the ram to drop from 18GB being used down to 2.3GB. Then, it went back up to 17GB and I had to right-click and run the Scan for hardware changes a few times in order to get the ram usage down to ~2GB. Either way, its a lot better than having to open and close PPro every couple minutes.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: HUGE TIP For Premiere Pro CS5 Users

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much.

I will ask Andy, our Lab Manager, to attempt to duplicate your results.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Could you please provide us with the full version number of your CS5 please?
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Steve,

Could you please provide us with the full version number of your CS5 please?
its 5.0.3 - the last update Adobe released.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Tourist

Would this have anything to do with ReadyBoost?
Caleb Duff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey