Mounting SSD MAC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Mounting SSD MAC

I having issues mounting the second SSD. I have copied the first drive no problem, then ejected the card via finder, removed TB from adapter, replaced second card, and plugged in TB. No mount.
Is there a perferred way of doing this?

Ok I have been able to remount by ejecting SSD1 (do not remove from CD UTS), unplug UTS from TB, remove SSD1, replace with SSD2, replug TB into UTS and it mounts .

Last edited by Dennis Dillon; September 14th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mounting SSD MAC

More info.
Shooting 30p, so I need to utilize both SSD cards.

? Gemini transfer app. Does this app combine the SSD 1 and SSD 2 corresponding DPX files. Seems to merge just the folders.

If I transfer the SSD 1 DPX files into a new folder then add SSD 2 DPX to the same folder I get a fully sequential DPX file that plays back in Resolve out of frame sequence ( 0000001,0000000,0000003,0000002......). If I first transfer SSD2, which has the first DPX file 0000000, then add the second SSD 1 to the folder, the file plays back fine.

I must be missing something here with the Gemini transfer app. or the order in which I add files to a folder determine the playback order. Any help is appreciated.

BTW the images are beautifully clean, and are easily graded.

Last edited by Dennis Dillon; September 15th, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Major Player

You gotta love this company. They have just released a merging app that solves my issue from above.

This new, free utility program, for both Mac and PC’s, can be used to combine files from both SSD’s. This utility is available on our website:
Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders | Gemini 444, nanoFlash, nano3D
The procedure is actually very simple, quick and efficient.
1. Create a folder on your computer to receive the files from your SSD’s.
2. Copy the folders under the “}CLIPS{ folder from each SSD to the above folder.
3. Run the Clip Merge Utility, specifying the location and name of the folder that you created in step 1 above.
This will take under one minute.
All of the files will be handled in such a manner as to combine the odd numbered frames and even numbered frames, just as if they were recorded to one SSD originally.
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok, since I'm solo on this thread,I'll continue to amuse myself.
Having issues with 30 p and the above workflow. Error issues with the merge, DPX files in resolve are pixilated. A rainbow effect. but I found a work around.
CD has an unpacking DPX transfer app for 60P. I used this app for my 30 P and then used the merge app, and all is perfect in Davinci.
Please chime in.Dan?Michael? Nate? Alister?David?
Anybody
Bueller, Bueller,..........
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for your posts.

I assume that you are shooting in 1080p59.94 (or 60).

In these two frame rates, when shooting full uncompressed, to DPX (and not to ARRIRAW), then the Gemini 4:4:4 records the data in a more efficient format than in standard DPX.

In the standard DPX format, 2 bits are wasted for every Pixel (With one Pixel meaning the Red + Blue + Green values combined together).

In our more efficient format we do not waste the two pixels, when we record in 1080p59.94 or 1080p60.

We provide a free utility, our Gemini 4:4:4 Transfer Utility which "Unpacks the DPX files".

Gemini 4:4:4 Software Downloads
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Dan,
I was recording at 30P. If I used the merge software the files were not meged, and the XML files were separated from the SSD 1 and SSD2 folders.
I then tried the CD transfer app prior to merge app and the results were correctly aligned merged folders with the XML file in the merged folder.
I am out of the country till the 25. I will try this again and posts some finder screen graps for further review.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

I will research this and get back with you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey