DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Introducing the Odyssey7 and 7Q from Convergent Design (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/515313-introducing-odyssey7-7q-convergent-design.html)

Chris Hurd March 25th, 2013 09:16 PM

Introducing the Odyssey7 and 7Q from Convergent Design

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Convergent Design, maker of the popular nanoFlash and Gemini 4:4:4 onboard recorders, announces two new additions to their product suite, Odyssey7 and 7Q, full-featured 7.7” OLED monitors, both capable of professional recording with extra cost options. The Odyssey series combines Convergent Design’s knowledge and experience of both broadcast and cinematography recorders, while adding the capabilities of a high-end professional monitor for an amazing $1295 USD.

The Monitor and Recorder Unite... full press release, photos, video at

Introducing the Odyssey7 and 7Q from Convergent Design at DV Info Net

Jack Zhang March 25th, 2013 09:51 PM

Re: Introducing the Odyssey7 and 7Q from Convergent Design

It's Adobe Creative Cloud's business model, but in hardware form.

Convergent might want to look into a XAVC recorder in a smaller form factor IMHO.

Stewart Chong March 25th, 2013 10:21 PM

7" OLED monitor is a need for any Camera and Pay to grow is a good business model though.
Cheers,
Stewart Chong
Founder and DIS ( Digital Imaging Strategist )
Wow Holdings
HK - CHINA
Thailand

Dennis Hingsberg March 25th, 2013 11:17 PM

So far all I read was ARRIraw, Canon RAW and Uncompressed DNX. .. any codec there for just regular HD?

I do like the idea of a nice OLED external screen though, I have the Sony OLED HD VF on my F55 and no way I'm ever giving that up!

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2013 01:23 AM

Dear Dennis,

Yes, there will be an option, a low cost option, for recording Avid DNxHD.

Avid DNxHD can be used in Final Cut Pro very easily, just download the codecs from Avid.

And we expect to offer additional codecs, when they are ready and approved later.

The price for the options and the 7Q will be announced in May.

Come see us at NAB, we will have the Odyssey7 and 7Q in our booth and many others.
Our booth is C6713.

Mark Kenfield March 26th, 2013 03:53 AM

What a terrific offering! I've been in need of a client/director's monitor for a while now - and in lust of the ability to pull 1080p50 off my Sony F3 for even longer. Looks like I can now get both solutions in one. Great stuff CD.

Any prospect of ProRes recording down the line Dan?

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2013 07:11 AM

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much.

We worked very hard to put all important high-end professional monitor features into a very low-cost OLED monitor.

The images on the OLED look great, with great blacks and great contrast.

These are very good implementations of the various features such as two-level Zebras, Waveform Moniting, Peaking (Focus Assist), False Color, and RGB Histogram.

Each image analysis tool can be shown in Full Screen, or in Four Quadrant mode. Since we have a 7.7" diagonal monitor, we have the room to show the video, plus three additional tools in separate quadrants.

With the Odyssey7Q, one can monitor four images simultaneously, in four quadrants.

And with the Odyssey7Q, with extra cost recording options, one will be able to record, for example, ARRIRAW plus record a Proxy file in Avid DNxHD-36, which is commonly used in on-line/offline editing workflows.

There are many more features. For Tech Specs and a nice introductory video about our new products, please visit

Odyssey7 and 7Q

Tim Polster March 26th, 2013 07:16 AM

Dan, do you have a brightness rating for the monitor? I could not find one on the site.

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2013 07:26 AM

Dear Tim,

It is nice to hear from you.

Yes, it is 250 Nits which is 250 Cd/m2.

But, this number cannot be compared to LCD Nits.

The OLED Monitor will have a lower Nits value, but will appear brighter.

I have not researched why this is so, but I feel it is due to the fact that the OLED has much better blacks, while an LED shows blacks as grays, adding to the Nits value.

These are not dim monitors. The images look great, as we will show at NAB.

But, I feel that one will want a Sunhood, which we will offer as an accessory, for shooting in the sun.

We are also working on an anti-glare treatment for the monitor.

Tim Polster March 26th, 2013 07:49 AM

Thanks for your reply Dan.

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 26th, 2013 08:25 AM

dear Dan
will be a ProRes option?

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2013 01:05 PM

Dear Friends,

Our first compressed codec will be Avid DNxHD.

As soon as we develop, test, and get approval, we will add a popular second compressed codec.

Dave Allen March 26th, 2013 08:54 PM

I am comparing this to the Ikan D7, and aside from the record feature, so far I can't figure out the manner in which this does focus assist. Does this have monochrome peaking as a focus assist or how is it accomplished?

The price is not too much more than the aforementioned, so I am checking.

Also, will this eventually be able to handle recording the 4k signal out of a Sony FS700? Sony's add-on 4k recorder may be in the $2k range. I wonder what frames rates the Sony 4k recorder will handle.

I'll come by the Convergent booth at NAB.

Dan Keaton March 27th, 2013 01:09 AM

Dear David,

We have attempted to implement professional level features in every image analysis tool.

For Focus Assist (Peaking) you have your choice of color to be used to show the peaking.

One color does not work in all situations, so you have a choice of colors to use.

I do not know, at this moment, if we have a monochome setting for our Focus Assist, but I will check.

We are very happy with our Focus Assist in how it is working and will be happy to show it to you at NAB.

For the FS700, we have been working with Sony USA for quite some time now.

We are ready, willing and able to support monitoring and recording from the Sony FS700.

We are seeing some progress in the approval process of Sony, in their allowing us to accept the 4K signal from the FS700.

This would be a great question to ask Sony at their booth, which is not far from ours (C6713) in Central Hall.

As I understand it, for the FS700 to record 4K, you need two items plus the media.

1. An adapter (around $2,000 or so) to add some interface capability to their 4K recorder.

2. Their recorder (around $5,0000 to $6,000, more or less) + their media.

These prices are just general ballparks, I did a quick search to find the prices, but did not find them.

For us, you will need our Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q + a recording option + media.

On a side note, the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q will be able to record the Super Slo-Motion out of the camera, just as the Gemini 4:4:4 does now.

I hope this helps. I am sorry that I do not have the exact pricing.

Chris Tangey March 27th, 2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1786633)
The Monitor and Recorder Unite... full press release, photos, video at

Introducing the Odyssey7 and 7Q from Convergent Design at DV Info Net

Wow Dan (and CD gang) very impressive. Pity many thousands of us can't just duck down to NAB to see the monitor ourselves, which as you allude to doesn't look very impressive brightness-wise purely on specs. I know exactly what you mean with not just going on specs though, it's a bit like "wall of sound " V volume, tech stats don't give the whole story on the actual loudness you hear.

Like the various add-on capabilities and the rentability thing? Brilliant. Still, as I'm sure you well know, what the prices of all the "bits" add up to will be the key, but judging by the initial unit price you are following a (relatively) larger production run model rather than an elite high-cost one. Who knows?.. maybe with the inherent buildability and future-proofing you CAN be all things to all people with this one. Anyway, as always CD, well done.

Graeme Hay March 27th, 2013 10:40 AM

I'll be at NAB to check this out and hopefully play with it a bit on the exhibit floor.

The FS700 4K would be an excellent achievement (for both CD and Sony).

I very much want to compare the OLED screen and feature-set with SmallHD's AC7-OLED as an external monitor is part of our camera upgrade plan now that we are taking on feature productions this year.

Timing couldn't be more perfect :)

Alister Chapman March 27th, 2013 02:02 PM

This is an exciting product, a nice bit of thinking outside the box, instead of making a recorder and adding a monitor, why not make a monitor that is also a recorder.

Hope CD add a 2x scaling capability to the vectorscope to make it easy to use with Chroma Du Monde charts etc.

With full LUT capabilities not coming to the F5/F55 until the end of the year if CD can incorporate LUTs and the ability to record proxies with burnt in LUT's that would be a cool feature.

Dan Keaton March 27th, 2013 03:43 PM

Dear Alister,

It has been our goal, in every Image Analysis Tool, such as Waveform, to provide a very professional implementation.

We also consider 2X zoom a vital feature for our Color Vectorscope.

Thank you for the kind words on our new products.

Dan Keaton March 29th, 2013 11:17 AM

Odyssey7Q Price, Scheduling, 7 versus 7Q, and more

Convergent Design recently introduced two revolutionary new products, the Odyssey7
and the Odyssey7Q. These new products have been very well received.

The Odyssey7 is a very capable 7.7” OLED Monitor that can become a professional recorder
via extra cost options.

The Odyssey7Q is an even more capable 7.7” OLED Monitor that can become a professional,
multi-stream (4-Channel) recorder.

We announced the price of the Odyssey7, $1295 (US) previously.

Now, due to hundreds of requests, we are announcing the price of the Odyssey7Q: $2295 (US).

The Odyssey7Q adds the following important features:

• Ability to monitor four separate video streams simultaneously.

• Ability to record, with an extra cost feature, four separate video steams (cameras), simultaneously, to a compressed codec (initially Avid DNxHD) up to 30 fps for each.

• Ability to playback simultaneously, four separate video streams, recorded in a compressed codec.

• Ability to record, with extra cost options, ARRIRAW or Canon Cinema Raw, plus a Proxy file,
with the same filename, same timecode, same starting and ending points, to Avid DNxHD-36 simultaneously. The added computational ability of the Odyssey7Q supports this important feature. Avid DNxHD-36 is the industry standard for offline (Proxy) recording.

• Ability to display various image analysis tools in four separate quadrants.
This may or may not be a feature of the Odyssey7 also; this is “to be determined”.
In the Odyssey7, image analysis tools, such as Waveform Monitor may be displayed in either
full screen or as a Picture in Picture (PIP) overlay.

• Ability to record 4K, via four separate HD-SDI single-link camera outputs, which some 4K cameras provide, such as the Sony F55.

• Ability to output to true 4K Monitors, via four separate HD-SDI single-link outputs,
which is the industry standard for 4K Monitoring.

The Odyssey7Q supports up to four HD-SDI 3G Inputs and two HD-SDI 3G outputs or
up to two HD-SDI 3G inputs and four HD-SDI 3G outputs.

The Odyssey7Q adds two bi-directional HD-SDI 3G connectors to the 2 inputs and 2 outputs of the Odyssey7. Both models have HDMI input and HDMI output.

• Ability to support high frame rates, up to 120 fps in both compressed codecs
and full uncompressed.
(The Odyssey7 supports up to 120 fps in full uncompressed only, not in compressed.)

• The Odyssey7Q will also support recording, with an extra cost feature, up to 240 fps,
from certain cameras in specific modes, such as HD or 2K.

Stay tuned for further important announcements.

• The Odyssey7Q has a built-in Four-Channel Live Switcher.

• Both the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q are monitors only, but both can be upgraded to record via extra cost options.

• The Odyssey7 records a maximum of one video stream,
and the Odyssey7Q supports up to four video streams.

The scheduled delivery of the Odyssey7 family has been rearranged to meet many customers’ requests.

Initial shipments of the Odyssey7Q will be first, currently scheduled for July 2013.
The Odyssey7 will start shipments shortly thereafter.

We have also moved up the availability of certain recording features.

Certain recording features will be available in July or August 2013.

These include recording from the Canon C500 in 4K Raw, 4K Half Raw, 2K, and HD in 10 and 12 bits.

And we will support another very popular 4K camera in July or August 2013.

Recording 2K and HD from many other cameras will also be supported in full uncompressed.

Compressed Codecs, initially Avid DNxHD, are due sometime in Q3 2013, subject to change.

Another popular codec will be added for owners of the Compressed Codec option, for free, if and when we obtain certification.

The Compressed Codec Option is only available for purchase, not rental due to the low cost of this option.

We will release pricing for the recording options in May, 2013.

All prices, features, and schedules are subject to change, but these are our plans at this time.

Dave Allen March 31st, 2013 05:00 PM

Can you confirm if there is a battery adapter plate for popular camcorder batteries, or does this require a dediicated external cabled power supply?

Too bad they will not be ready for months, leaving me with no choice but to buy a D7. :(

Dan Keaton March 31st, 2013 08:56 PM

Dear Dave,

We will provide a battery plate + our own battery (a 14.4 volt lithium-Ion) + charger, as accessories.

I also feel that we will provide battery plates for some popular camcorder batteries. i am not positve about this at this moment.

I am sorry that we provide them sooner.

Sabyasachi Patra April 1st, 2013 12:44 AM

Re: Odyssey7Q Price, Scheduling, 7 versus 7Q, and more

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1787362)

And we will support another very popular 4K camera in July or August 2013.

Am I allowed to ask which camera is this?

Dan Keaton April 1st, 2013 06:26 AM

Dear Sabyasachi,

As you probably know, the Odyssey7 and Odyssesy7Q start out as Monitors only.

With extra cost options, the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q will be able to record from certain 4K cameras.

As soon as we get final approval, we will make the appropriate announcements.

We do hope to make the announcements by April 15th, maybe earlier.

Ron Aerts April 2nd, 2013 03:35 AM

Hi Dan, looks like a great tool!
will the record trigger also work with increasing timecode? and if so, If it's the 7Q, is it selectable from which input this trigger takes his timecode?
can you select a SDI embedded 'master timecode input' if you work with multiple inputs and multitrack recording? so that all recordings are sync'd to 1 source?

Dan Keaton April 2nd, 2013 08:29 AM

Dear Ron,

Yes, we will be able to record on Incrementing Timecode.

And we will be able to record using the HD-SDI Record Packet, from ARRI, Some Sony, Some Canon cameras, like the C300 and C500 plus possibly other Canon cameras, and the Red Cameras, and any other camera that uses the SMPTE Standard HD-SDI Record Packet. Tiggering is also possible from most Raw cameras when the Raw datastream has timecode.

And we will implement the Panasonic trigger method also.

(All of the above is currently implemented on the Gemini 4:4:4, thus this is just a port of the code over to the Odyssey7 / Odyssey7Q family.)

Also, if there are multiple video streams with timecode, we use the embedded timecode from video input 1. (Also currently implemented in the Gemini 4:4:4.)

And the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q have a dedicated BNC for Timecode, it can be used for Input or Output, so you can use LTC timecode.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Chris Medico April 2nd, 2013 08:33 AM

From what I read the 7Q will be able to record 4 SDI streams simultaneously. Is that correct?

Will that be uncompressed or will it be able to record 4 streams to a compressed format such as DNxHD?

Dan Keaton April 2nd, 2013 09:05 AM

Dear Chris,

We have announced that we will be able to record four streams, up to 1080p30, using our compressed codec in the Odyssey7Q with an extra cost option or options.

We have not announced that we can also record four streams of full uncompressed. We can record two streams of uncompressed with an extra cost option.

I am checking with our engineers to see if your request is possible (and practical).

Do you want to record four streams in full uncompressed?

What format, 1080p23.98, 24, 29.97 or 30 (or do you need all of these formats)?

Respectfully,

Chris Medico April 2nd, 2013 09:10 AM

Actually I'm more interested in a compressed workflow. If it can record 3-4 streams to a codec such as DNxHD I would be very interested in buying one. Assuming the cost is within what I can afford.

One feature I would recommend is to have a selectable option allowing each stream to trigger recording individually OR have all streams trigger from ANY camera.

Dan Keaton April 2nd, 2013 09:23 AM

Dear Chris,

For many we feel that it makes sense to record compressed..

We thought that most people would want to record compressed when recording from four cameras.

Initially we will support recording four cameras in Avid DNxHD, up to 30 fps.

We plan on adding another very popular codec later, but we must get it certified before we can talk about it.

If we get it coded, tested, and certified, then it will be free to those that have purchased our Compressed Codecs Option.

I wonder if anyone will want to record full uncompressed from four cameras?

I like your idea of triggering from one camera.

It also makes sense to be able to trigger them individually.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton April 3rd, 2013 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Friends,

We have created a comparison of the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q for those that are interested.

There are two hardware differences between the Odyssey7 ($1,295 US) and the Odyssey7Q ($2,295 US).

The heart of each unit is a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).

For video processing, a FPGA is like a computer in some aspects, but it is much faster and uses much less power. Whereas a computer processes one (or a few) instructions at a time, a FPGA can be programmed to perform its tasks on a huge amount of data in a very short period of time, and can perform many separate functions, all at once.

Each FPGA has a certain amount of "Logic Space" which is used for the programming of the tasks to be performed. Additional "Logic Space" makes the FPGA more expensive.

The FPGA is the Odyssey7Q has well over twice the "Logic Space" of the Odyssey7Q.

In general, this means that more tasks (or functions) can be performed at once. And it means that we can add more features to the unit, both now and in the future.

The FPGA in our Odyssey7 is very powerful, just not as powerful as the one in the Odyssey7Q, which allows us to add more features to the 7Q model.

The Odyssey7 has very good connectivity:

2 HD-SDI Inputs, 2 HD-SDI Outputs, and HDMI in and out

The Odyssey7Q adds two additional HD-SDI 3G connections.

Thus with the Odyssey7Q, one can have:

2 HD-SDI 3G Inputs and 4 HD-SDI 3G Outputs plus HDMI in and out
Four HD-SDI 3G Inputs and 2 HD-SDI 3G Outputs plus HDMI in and out

This added connectivity allows the Odyssey7Q to be used to drive a true 4K Monitor or to record from a 4K camera that outputs 4K uncompressed over four HD-SDI outputs.

To be clear, the Odyssey7 is fine for many users. But those that want to record at very high frame rates, and use other advanced features may need the Odyssey7Q.

We recommend the Odyssey7Q for all professional users, and for those that want to record more than one video stream at a time, and for anyone that wants to record in full uncompressed or raw modes, as the Odyssey7Q supports Proxy recording.

The Odyssey7Q, with the extra "Logic Space" allows it to process a full uncompressed or raw video input, while simultaneously creating a compressed Proxy File in Avid DNxHD-36, which is generally the industry standard for high-end off-line/on-line workflows.

I have attached a comparison of the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q.

Jim Martin April 3rd, 2013 10:49 AM

Dan-
Congrats on the new units! We'll be seeing you next week!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Dan Keaton April 3rd, 2013 10:51 AM

Dear Jim,

That will be great.

I look forward to seeing you Our Booth is C6713 in the Central Hall.

Graeme Hay April 3rd, 2013 06:55 PM

Oh... 7Q can have Sony FS700 support :)

When can we expect a price list for all the "extra" costs?

Allan Black April 3rd, 2013 07:38 PM

Dan, the icing on the cake with a great new product like this, is taking it to shows like NAB to show folks.

Have a great time, looking forward to more news :)

Cheers.

Dan Keaton April 3rd, 2013 08:08 PM

Dear Friends,

We currently plan on releasing our recording option pricing in May.

Dear Allan,

Yes, it should be a lot of fun at NAB. It is such a shame that our entire team, who have worked so hard to make the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q a reality, can't be there.

I want to invite all those interested to our Booth C6713, in the Central Hall.

Ron Aerts April 4th, 2013 12:42 AM

Hi Dan
I know the new Sony Oled viewfinders switch to all white or black when sunlight is entering the finder. I think its for protecting the oled, I'm not sure.
How does direct sunlight affect the Odyssey (negatively or positively)?

Dan Keaton April 4th, 2013 12:47 AM

Dear Ron,

I personally was not aware of that feature or function.

We will be offering a sunshade, and an iPhone/iPad/Android remote control so that the unit can still be operated, even it a sunshade gets in the way a little of operating the unit via the touchscreen interface.

I will speak with our engineers about this.

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang April 18th, 2013 05:41 PM

Just announced! DNxHD and another compressed codec to be included in the base cost of both the 7 and the 7Q!

https://twitter.com/ConvergentD/stat...29519062888448

Dan Keaton April 18th, 2013 06:28 PM

Dear Jack,

That is true.

Here is the way it works:

The Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q ship as monitors only.

If you purchase a Convergent Design SSD, and insert it into the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q, then two things happen.

1. The Avid DNxHD is immediately unlocked.

When we have another popular compressed codec fully certified, then it will be available for free also.

2. The Odyssey7Q will have all of the extra cost recording options made available in demo mode.

In demo mode, the options are available for testing only, as there will be a permanent watermark in all of the images.

But, this allows one to test, at their pace, and at a convenient time, any and all of the extra cost options.

Our decision to supply the Compressed Codecs for free significantly lowers the price of the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q for all users that may need a compressed codec.

Respectfully,

Chris Medico April 18th, 2013 06:39 PM

Will recording on the 7q include compressed quad stream recording out of the box or will that be an additional cost option?