Nanoflash Discontinued at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Nanoflash Discontinued

On the B&H website it says that the nano is "no longer available", although it still has the nanoflash for sale bundled with other hardware (e.g., battery, ballhead, etc). Also, Lensrentals says they no longer stock it.

Is the nanoflash at its end of life?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Nanoflash Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
...Is the nanoflash at its end of life?
Not for me, it's still an incredibly useful recorder and problem solver.

However, if the years of promised but unfulfilled firmware updates are really to be closed out by end-of-life for the Nanoflash by Convergent, I'll be sure to never consider another product from them. I don't understand why a manufacturer that doesn't show dedication to its existing customers would expect loyalty in return.

I don't *know* that this is the case with Convergent Design and the Nanoflash, but it sure seems that all their resources that were to be used for NF firmware updates have gone towards new product development, as months turn into years. If I re-upped for a Gemini or whatever is that what I should expect in the future?

It's now been 2-1/2 years since the last firmware update, with the number one issue seeming to be no ability to start/stop recording on this or that new camera. If CD releases new firmware for NF I will very happily eat my hat and post pictures, too, but it's been a pretty long run of "all our people are working on the Gemini" and "the Odyssey is so exciting..."
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hear hear! Seth though CD are prompt in replying to my questions re my nanoFlash so there is still some life there.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

I have also been advised by Convergent Design that the nanoFlash has been discontinued. When I asked about the long awaited firmware updates I received the following reply: -

“As for the firmware fix, this is in the que but may not be available till next year, since we are currently working on getting the Odyssey 7 out, then will need to revisit Gemini 4:4:4 and nanoFlash, to fix any current issues”.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In before they're too busy on a new groundbreaking product for NAB, then the Gemini and Nano get sidetracked again.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Trustee

I agree with Seth usually, but not this time. CD came out with unpromised, no charge feature upgrades after the purchase, and addressed a lot of issues and concerns over its span, before it all stopped. I think they were over the top in customer support. How long did it take Sony to upgrade the FS700 to 4k? Was it free? (No...) Did CD ever charge for feature upgrades? (No...)

As it stands with me, I am not owed anything. I still think the Nanoflash is a fine product. It works perfectly on my PMW350, and extends it's usefulness by permitting compliant XDCAM 422 videos for those organizations that require it, as well as many other features.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm seriously considering getting a nanoflash to run with my Canon C100, specifically to get timecode matched with my other F3 (which has timecode).

Good idea?
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Convergent Design

Yes, the nanoFlash has gone end of life. Sony discontinued their current MPEG2 CODEC module, so we were forced to cease production. The nanoFlash has been a tremendously successful product for Convergent Design and can be found worldwide on TV, commercial, documentary, advertising and corporate video production. In total, we delivered over 5,500 nanoFlash units.

Over the lifespan of nanoFlash we added many many software features, greatly extending it's capabilities and value. Yes, these new features also increased the sales and market acceptance of the product, but all these added functions were provided at no additional charge to existing customers.

We wanted to add a couple of new features, in particular, HDMI timecode and HDMI record trigger, but found that the HDMI chips used in the nanoFlash simply did not support the required HDMI protocol. Unfortunately, HDMI chips that offered this support, simply did not exist when we designed the nanoFlash. There were also a couple of other minor features we would like to have added, but overall, the nanoFlash still stands as one of the most full-featured affordable recorders on the market today (at least for compressed HD work).

So we bid farewell to nanoFlash, which still has a very substantial following and active user base. We plan to service and support (via hardware repairs and tech support) the nanoFlash for at least the next 3 years. We're taking all we have learned about the nanoFlash (and the Gemini as well) into our new Odyssey family of recorders. All indications point to continued success.

Mike Schell
Convergent Design
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Mike.

I'm still thinking of picking one up to run on my C100 so I can sync timecode with my other, timecode-enabled, cameras (would jam timecode from my F3 to the NF). Would this work?

Glad to hear you're still servicing. Any possibility of discount pricing now! :)
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
Thanks Mike.

I'm still thinking of picking one up to run on my C100 so I can sync timecode with my other, timecode-enabled, cameras (would jam timecode from my F3 to the NF). Would this work?

Glad to hear you're still servicing. Any possibility of discount pricing now! :)
Hi Steve-
Yes, the nanoFlash will read the timecode from the F3 camera. You can also use time of day timecode from within the nanoFlash.

You'll have to check dealer stock for any possible discounts, but given the end-of-life, I don't think they will be discounted.
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Not for me, it's still an incredibly useful recorder and problem solver.

However, if the years of promised but unfulfilled firmware updates are really to be closed out by end-of-life for the Nanoflash by Convergent, I'll be sure to never consider another product from them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I agree with Seth usually, but not this time. CD came out with unpromised, no charge feature upgrades after the purchase, and addressed a lot of issues and concerns over its span, before it all stopped. I think they were over the top in customer support...
Mike Schell shared above some convincing information about CD's view of the NF's life-cycle, and it sounds reasonable to me.

My rant is still editable, but I've decided not to tone it down. It's how I felt at the time. Tom has perhaps been a longer-term user of the NF than me; over the period of my ownership there have been firmware updates discussed on this forum by CD representatives, but never delivered, whether free or at a cost, over 2-1/2 years, they don't exist. That Tom got what he needed is great, I didn't, and neither did some other forum contributors.

NOW we learn that HDMI timecode functionality, at the root of many (most? all?) of the desired firmware updates just couldn't be adequately implemented through firmware, it would require hardware. Fair enough. The MPEG/MXF module from Sony is being discontinued, fair enough.

Rant mode re-engaged:
"We're looking at that camera..." "Odyssey is taking all our resources..." "Gemini update..." "Maybe after NAB..." Convergent Design, I'm talking to you; IMO you need to be more forthright in your customer communication in this forum. HDMI hardware in the NF doesn't support TC the way you want it to? TELL US! Don't leave users hanging. Read back over this forum and you'll find quite a history of users wondering what happened to that next update.

I'm glad we're finally getting more info about the nanoFlash's firmware vs. hardware challenges with HDMI, it's just a little late, don't you think?

Having ventilated my views I feel better... as I said in my first line of my post above I still find the nanoFlash to be an incredibly versatile and useful recorder and problem-solver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
... When I asked about the long awaited firmware updates I received the following reply: -

“As for the firmware fix, this is in the que but may not be available till next year, since we are currently working on getting the Odyssey 7 out, then will need to revisit Gemini 4:4:4 and nanoFlash, to fix any current issues”.
And apparently there may yet be new firmware for the nanoFlash. EOL but the saga continues...
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Okay, looks like I have to purchase a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter now. I have no doubts the issue regarding illegal HDMI levels will not be solved, so I am forced to use a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter to record anything with black video with the Nano.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Convergent Design

Hi Seth-
You make a very valid point. We (I) did not handle this message (the intrinsic lack of HDMI timecode support) properly. We should have been more forthcoming. I apologize. We'll do our best to get this corrected in the future.

We also did not hire enough engineers to keep up with the workload of developing new products while supporting current (and older generation) products. We have made significant strides in this area and plan to hire additional engineers later this year.

So, I would ask your patience as we try to correct some of these shortcomings.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Okay, looks like I have to purchase a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter now. I have no doubts the issue regarding illegal HDMI levels will not be solved, so I am forced to use a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter to record anything with black video with the Nano.
Hi Jack-
Not quite sure why you feel the need for an HDMi to SDI converter? I don't think the nano has any problems with black video. The nano does not support HDMI timecode, but I am not aware of any problems with the video.
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Mike Schell shared above some convincing information about CD's view of the NF's life-cycle, and it sounds reasonable to me.

My rant is still editable, but I've decided not to tone it down. It's how I felt at the time. Tom has perhaps been a longer-term user of the NF than me; over the period of my ownership there have been firmware updates discussed on this forum by CD representatives, but never delivered, whether free or at a cost, over 2-1/2 years, they don't exist. That Tom got what he needed is great, I didn't, and neither did some other forum contributors.

NOW we learn that HDMI timecode functionality, at the root of many (most? all?) of the desired firmware updates just couldn't be adequately implemented through firmware, it would require hardware. Fair enough. The MPEG/MXF module from Sony is being discontinued, fair enough.

Rant mode re-engaged:
"We're looking at that camera..." "Odyssey is taking all our resources..." "Gemini update..." "Maybe after NAB..." Convergent Design, I'm talking to you; IMO you need to be more forthright in your customer communication in this forum. HDMI hardware in the NF doesn't support TC the way you want it to? TELL US! Don't leave users hanging. Read back over this forum and you'll find quite a history of users wondering what happened to that next update.

I'm glad we're finally getting more info about the nanoFlash's firmware vs. hardware challenges with HDMI, it's just a little late, don't you think?

Having ventilated my views I feel better... as I said in my first line of my post above I still find the nanoFlash to be an incredibly versatile and useful recorder and problem-solver.

And apparently there may yet be new firmware for the nanoFlash. EOL but the saga continues...
+1.

Should I have known there won't be HDMI TC or triggering for my FS100, I'd have sold my nanoFlash long time ago - and who knows? Maybe even used the money towards some 'later & greater' CD's product?

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey