Nanoflash Discontinued - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Nanoflash Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Jack-
Not quite sure why you feel the need for an HDMi to SDI converter? I don't think the nano has any problems with black video. The nano does not support HDMI timecode, but I am not aware of any problems with the video.
I go in depth with this in a previous thread that illegal HDMI levels below 16 will cause the nano to stop recording. SDI does not do this.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ions-nano.html
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:18 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I agree with Seth usually, but not this time. CD came out with unpromised, no charge feature upgrades after the purchase, and addressed a lot of issues and concerns over its span, before it all stopped. I think they were over the top in customer support. How long did it take Sony to upgrade the FS700 to 4k? Was it free? (No...) Did CD ever charge for feature upgrades? (No...)

As it stands with me, I am not owed anything. I still think the Nanoflash is a fine product. It works perfectly on my PMW350, and extends it's usefulness by permitting compliant XDCAM 422 videos for those organizations that require it, as well as many other features.
Tom, how do you dock your Nano to the PMW350? I have the PMW320 with an AB Dionic 160 and the Ni-MH 140. Both batteries have velcro on top and are perfect sized seats for the Nano. The camera never goes out without it and its higher quality capabilities and backup files recording.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I still would like to use my nanoFlash - if only to fulfill the broadcast required minimum of 50 Mbps/4:2:2 for some of my material. Recently the internal clock in my unit stopped working; i..e. after I dial-in the correct time and date, it keeps them only until rebooted. The files are recorded with some 1999 time stamp :(

Is replacing some internal battery necessary, or will it charge after keeping it connected to external source for some time (I didn't use my nanoFlash for several months)?

Thanks,

Piotr
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Trustee

Check with CD but it sounds like your backup battery has died and needs replacing. I believe the battery is a BR1225A unit like these:

New Fresh Panasonic BR1225A Battery Solder Leads | eBay

Again confirm that battery designation with CD. A competent tech should be able to replace it fairly easily one would think. Otherwise it's send it back to CD for its R & R.

These guys might also be able to give you the correct info.

nanoFlash.net

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Christopher, there's a teardown video of the NanoFlash on Youtube, you could potentially see which type of battery is required.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Trustee

Good one Jack.

Teardown looks pretty simple. Hard to tell but I am pretty sure that the battery shown is the BR1225A Panasonic cell I linked to. Think I will order at least one of those batteries and check it out and keep it as a standby if it's correct.

BTW I think there is something going on at CD re discussions on a possible sucessor to Nano. Now that could be an interesting development!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

Can you confirm our Friends' here finding on the exact type of backup battery nanoFlash uses?

I have written to CD support but all they did was assigning an RMA for me; now sending a nano between Poland and the US is a royal p...a and awfully expensive so I asked them about the battery type so I could replace myself (my nanoFlash is out-of-warranty anyway, so what's the problem?)

Unfortunately they never responded :(

Dan, please?
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #23
Trustee

Check out these posts. The BR1225A batery looks to be the correct one, confirmed by CD. They are around as per that eBay link I posted further up. After viewing the Youtube tear down video I think any reasonable tech with a soldering iron could swap the battery out with the minimum of difficulty.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...l-battery.html

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Is there room to install a battery holder to the next change is easier?
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Check out these posts. The BR1225A batery looks to be the correct one, confirmed by CD.
Chris - where and when it was confirmed by CD? If it was, I'm OK and all I can say is Thanks to you.

:)

Cheers

Piotr
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Re: Nanoflash Battery Replacement

My Nano battery died a few months ago, finally got around to ordering a new battery, which arrived yesterday. I haven't had time to install it yet (maybe next week).

Five (5) for $10.88, free shipping. Mine came in less than a week (California to NYC). They're tiny...

ebay Link: 5 BR1225A Panasonic 3V 48mAh 12 5mm Coin Battery w Legs
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Is there room to install a battery holder to the next change is easier?
Chris

Viewing the tear down I would say there is but if I only have to replace one once every five years or so I would be quite happy to unsolder and resolder one. Since the last post I have now discovered just using Google that there are dozens of sources for these Panasonic BR1225A batteries.

Chris Young
CV Productions
Sydney
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Thats reasonable. I don't like to solder to a board more than a couple of times. Things can get a bit wonky after a few times. Also if you end up with a bad battery or one with an unusually short life its easier to drop in one in a holder.

Realistically though The NanoFlash should be pretty much obsolete within a couple battery lifetimes so I guess it may not be of a real benefit.
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #29
Trustee

Fully agree. Normally in a situation like that I would cut the tabs close to the battery body and solder the new battery to the now existing tabs sticking up from the PCB rather than risking lifting tracks on the board.

As you say though Nanos will most likely be obsolete in a few years time. Currently they still have their place. I hang one of the vision switcher on multicam shoots just as a back up to the ProRes and XDCam disc recorder masters. Would have to be real unlucky for all three records to go down :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Sorry about re-joining this thread a year late.

Those of you still using the Nanoflash and don't mind opening it up, Digikey also offers these batteries if you want to solder one in yourself:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...P290-ND/447501

Digikey is a better source than eBay the majority of the time.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey