Odyssey Feature Request - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 8th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Odyssey Feature Request

Received my 7Q recently and am having fun working through it.
One feature i'd like to request: please STOP the DEMO mode indicator from flashing.
i'm using the QUADs function as a monitor function only (at this point) and while I appreciate and understand the DEMO indicator, the flashing is incredibly distracting. It won't even go away when hiding all display characters.

A couple of other things, but I believe they have already been addressed/brought up in other threads or locations:
1 - 720, please! (I do a majority of my work for ABC - they shoot 720....)
2 - Dual-stream (2-input, only) side-by-side monitoring
3 - In Quad-stream, I'd like the ability to punch directly to a selected input rather than toggle through 1,2,3,4..
5 - the ability to update software/firmware via USB - as I mentioned, at this point i'm using the 7Q as a monitor only - being forced to buy an SSD is quite a bit of cash (relatively speaking) being dropped in order to update the unit.
6 - did I mention the flashing yellow DEMO indicator?! ;-)

Thanks CD - great unit and I'm looking forward to more!
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T. Young View Post
Received my 7Q recently and am having fun working through it.
One feature i'd like to request: please STOP the DEMO mode indicator from flashing.
i'm using the QUADs function as a monitor function only (at this point) and while I appreciate and understand the DEMO indicator, the flashing is incredibly distracting. It won't even go away when hiding all display characters.

A couple of other things, but I believe they have already been addressed/brought up in other threads or locations:
1 - 720, please! (I do a majority of my work for ABC - they shoot 720....)
2 - Dual-stream (2-input, only) side-by-side monitoring
3 - In Quad-stream, I'd like the ability to punch directly to a selected input rather than toggle through 1,2,3,4..
5 - the ability to update software/firmware via USB - as I mentioned, at this point i'm using the 7Q as a monitor only - being forced to buy an SSD is quite a bit of cash (relatively speaking) being dropped in order to update the unit.
6 - did I mention the flashing yellow DEMO indicator?! ;-)

Thanks CD - great unit and I'm looking forward to more!

Dear Brian,

I fully agree with all of your recommendations.

1. 720p. Yes, we will add 720p.

2. Dual-stream (2-input, only) side-by-side monitoring.

Did you really mean monitoring only, as we can do that now, (monitoring only), in dual stream side-by-side mode?

If you meant dual stream recording, that will be added as an extra cost option.

I wonder if I am missing the intent of your request.

3. Yes, I agree, we need to provide a way to directly go to the selected input stream directly.

5. Yes, we agree, we just did not get the USB firmware update support ready in time.

We do not expect anyone to have to purchase our SSD's just to perform a firmware update.

6. We will fix the flashing demo mode indicator.

Since you are only monitoring, the flashing demo mode should not be displayed,

If you were testing the Multi-Stream [b] Recording [b] Option which does not exist yet, then the demo indicator is appropriate. But, you were only monitoring.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Our team is working hard to ready our next firmware release, due out around the end of this month.

Respectfully.
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

I do mean monitoring only - am I missing something in how I’m using the 7Q as a monitor only?
We can do 2-input, side-by-side monitoring already? How? (Or did you mean that you guys at CD can do it, but the capability hasn’t been released yet?)

I’m monitoring only - with no SSDs in place - and as far as I can tell, the only way to see 4 images at once is to go into Setup - Monitor —> Record - Multi-stream 4:2:2. I understand the DEMO alert in this situation - it makes sense as the 7Q thinks i’m preparing to record.

Is there a monitor-only mode that does not set up the 7Q to record?

Thanks,
Brian
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #19
Sponsor: Westside AV

Brian,

There is a mode, I have to check what it is that works right now. I think it is called multi-stream 4:2:2 mode.

I know you can get 2 HDSDI in and display WF's for both below each input. It does not work with HDMI yet, but will. I have seen that working.

I have not tried 4 inputs yet, but I can. Time is my only constraint, I will try later.
Attached Thumbnails
Odyssey Feature Request-screen-shot-2014-02-08-12.50.23-pm.jpg  
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Olof,
Thank you - and thanks for the great service on my order the other day.
Your picture shows exactly what i'm doing - Multi-Stream 4:2:2
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

I have again been traveling all day.

The Multi-Stream mode, under the Setup Menu, allows one to monitor up to four HD-SDI inputs.

Each input has to be HD, 1920 x 1080, and the frame rates can be up to 1080p30.

Different frame rates are supported, for example, one could be 1080p23.98 and another 1080p29.97.

In this mode, Raw, or other special modes are not supported.

If you connect two cameras, one to SDI A, and one to SDI B, you will see two side by side images.

And you can also connect SDI I/O to a third camera and SDI-I/O B to a fourth.

At this time, this mode does not support HDMI input, but this will change.

The Demo mode message does not really apply, as this is a feature built into the Odyssey7Q. This message will be removed as soon as possible, I am expecting it to be gone in our next firmware release.

Later, we will add an extra cost option to allow multi-stream recording.

At this time, our Multi-Stream Monitoring feature does not support recording.

While I can't post replies while I am driving, I can respond to phone calls.

Support | Convergent Design

My 719 number is best.

Respectfully,
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Dan -
You're exactly right and this is what i've been doing.
Sorry for all the confusion on my end - I'm probably not articulating things well.
Bottom line - I'm good here and looking forward to the updates!

oh - and dan...don't apologize for a "delay" in responding. Your support here is amazing!
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #23
Tourist

Here is my list of features I would like to see:

1) Another field of meta data for specific LUT used for monitoring while recording. Perhaps this can be automatically updated by the Odyssey 7Q. This would be great so post production knows what LUT affected the image that the DP used for lighting/exposure and the director/client was seeing at video village and yet have a raw or unbaked log recording.

2) Simultaneous recording of something like 220mbits and 100 or 50mbits on one SSD drive. The SSD drive would have a file structure with two folders folder, one named "Original" and another named "Proxy", with the files in each respective folder having identical or near-identical naming structure. The "original" recording would be raw or log, and the proxy would have the LUT applied that was used for monitoring. This would make confirming/re-connecting/relinking a piece of cake. Is recording with a LUT applied already an option?

3) I know that Mitch Gross said on Reduser.net that Red file naming convention are on the "wish list" and I do hope that it is in late stage development. This would be an amazing feature!! Both recordings in camera and the Odyssey 7Q would have the same file names. This feature for other cameras would be great too.

4) I DP two camera setups where I operate "A" camera and often switch quickly to see what "B" camera is seeing. I'd like to be able to switch to quad mode or A/B inputs, but not have "A" camera's output from the Odyssey 7Q display the quad at Video Village's "A" camera monitor. Perhaps be able to assign the behavior of the SDI A output and SDI B output. I'd like to have SDI A output be "clean" of quads/waveforms/false color. And perhaps have SDI B output mimic what I am seeing on the unit's screen itself.

5) You wrote previously that XAVC 100 and 50 might be on option. I think that would be great. The LT flavor of the popular codec would be great, but having a recording option at 50mbits would make the Odyssey 7Q so versatile.

6) I asked Mitch Gross at a recent Abelcine seminar on the 7Q if perhaps applying a LUT to two different inputs and sending those two feeds downstream to Video Village would be an option. He was pretty sure the hardware could not support applying LUTs on two feeds. Is this correct?
Roberto Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #24
Major Player

And a reminder about incorporating the Sony FS700 "end trigger" endless buffer of the FS700 where when we hit the record button when set to end trigger, the PREVIOUS 8 seconds will be recorded at 240 frames per second at full HD or FSP as set.

I can imagine a setting where one could adjust time of the "buffer" and based upon the inserted SSD, remaining memory allotment, and the framers per second, the 7Q would tell us how large that can be perhaps so we don't exceed storage.

So count me in for a vote on Sony FS700 "End trigger" within the 7Q
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #25
Trustee

I thought at one point there was going to be a vector scope put in? Having the monitor being able to switch between waveform and vector would be great!

I humbly would request an update to the price of the SSD either that or release the option to use our own drives at our own risk. The fact that you can get a 500gb samsung 840 pro for half the price of the CD ssd, is frustrating as it seems to meet the listed specs.

Is there a cover for the screen? What are people using that's any good? I love the monitors quality and want to keep it in good shape!
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #26
Trustee

Oh and is there a way to put in a sound track? Like have an external source that would stripe the audio across the multiple input videos when we record multiple streams at one?
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Schein View Post
Here is my list of features I would like to see:

1) Another field of meta data for specific LUT used for monitoring while recording. Perhaps this can be automatically updated by the Odyssey 7Q. This would be great so post production knows what LUT affected the image that the DP used for lighting/exposure and the director/client was seeing at video village and yet have a raw or unbaked log recording.
I will bring this up with our team.

Quote:
2) Simultaneous recording of something like 220mbits and 100 or 50mbits on one SSD drive. The SSD drive would have a file structure with two folders folder, one named "Original" and another named "Proxy", with the files in each respective folder having identical or near-identical naming structure. The "original" recording would be raw or log, and the proxy would have the LUT applied that was used for monitoring. This would make confirming/re-connecting/relinking a piece of cake. Is recording with a LUT applied already an option?
We want to be able to record high quality footage plus a Proxy simultaneously.

We have not promised this feature yet, but we want to add it, first we have to finish the enabling features that would allow us to implement your request. The enabling feature is to add Proxy mode recording to the Odyssey7Q. Then we have to determine if we can fit this into the unit along with the processing for the high quality modes.

Quote:
3) I know that Mitch Gross said on Reduser.net that Red file naming convention are on the "wish list" and I do hope that it is in late stage development. This would be an amazing feature!! Both recordings in camera and the Odyssey 7Q would have the same file names. This feature for other cameras would be great too.
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
4) I DP two camera setups where I operate "A" camera and often switch quickly to see what "B" camera is seeing. I'd like to be able to switch to quad mode or A/B inputs, but not have "A" camera's output from the Odyssey 7Q display the quad at Video Village's "A" camera monitor. Perhaps be able to assign the behavior of the SDI A output and SDI B output. I'd like to have SDI A output be "clean" of quads/waveforms/false color. And perhaps have SDI B output mimic what I am seeing on the unit's screen itself.
We are discussing the various features that we will be adding to support your needs.

On 1.1.105 firmware, you can go to Record/Monitoring to turn on or off the Waveform monitor and other image analysis tools on the outputs.

Quote:
5) You wrote previously that XAVC 100 and 50 might be on option. I think that would be great. The LT flavor of the popular codec would be great, but having a recording option at 50mbits would make the Odyssey 7Q so versatile.
We have been looking at this, but we are not ready to commit to it at this time.

Quote:
6) I asked Mitch Gross at a recent Abelcine seminar on the 7Q if perhaps applying a LUT to two different inputs and sending those two feeds downstream to Video Village would be an option. He was pretty sure the hardware could not support applying LUTs on two feeds. Is this correct?
Do you mean that you want to apply the same LUT, to Input A and Input B and send the video from both feeds to two different HD-SDI outputs, Input A with LUT to Output A, and Input B with LUT to Output B?

I will ask our engineers about this today.

Respectfully,
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
And a reminder about incorporating the Sony FS700 "end trigger" endless buffer of the FS700 where when we hit the record button when set to end trigger, the PREVIOUS 8 seconds will be recorded at 240 frames per second at full HD or FSP as set.

I can imagine a setting where one could adjust time of the "buffer" and based upon the inserted SSD, remaining memory allotment, and the frames per second, the 7Q would tell us how large that can be perhaps so we don't exceed storage.

So count me in for a vote on Sony FS700 "End trigger" within the 7Q
Dear Dave,

Sony FS700 2K Raw, at 240 fps is 772.5 Megabytes per second.

Storing 8 seconds of this video in memory requires a lot of available memory.

We have not figured out a way to add this feature yet, sorry.

I would love to have this feature, but it does not look likely at this time.

Respectfully,
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
I thought at one point there was going to be a vector scope put in? Having the monitor being able to switch between waveform and vector would be great!

I humbly would request an update to the price of the SSD either that or release the option to use our own drives at our own risk. The fact that you can get a 500gb samsung 840 pro for half the price of the CD ssd, is frustrating as it seems to meet the listed specs.

Is there a cover for the screen? What are people using that's any good? I love the monitors quality and want to keep it in good shape!
Dear Nick,

The Vectorscope is on roadmap.

I understand that you would like to use a lower cost SSD that seems like it would work.

Our SSD's use very little power, and have built-in power protection to protect against the possible loss of all of the footage on an SSD due to a power failure.

The Samsung 840 Pro models do not have these features.

Yes, the Odyssey7Q uses Gorilla Glass on the OLED panel, and a user removable protective screen is also installed. The labels, such as the Odyssey7Q logo and all of the other labels are engraved into the protective screen.

Caution: Do not remove the protective screen until you need to replace it, to avoid getting dust under the screen.

Respectfully,
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
Oh and is there a way to put in a sound track? Like have an external source that would stripe the audio across the multiple input videos when we record multiple streams at one?
The Odyssey7Q currently supports Multi-Stream Monitoring.

Our extra cost Multi-Stream Recording Mode is not available yet.

We have not enabled the analog audio inputs yet either.

Yes, we want to add the feature you mentioned, as well as using timecode from Input A, or the external LTC input for all four individual recordings.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey