Status 7/7Q at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 15th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Status 7/7Q

Hi Dan
could you inform us with the status of the next firmware update, as it was announced to be released 4th Q '13?
And what is the preliminary scedule for the 7?

Thanks
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Status 7/7Q

Dear Ron,

We have decided to combine two firmware releases into one.

We are expecting to have our "popular compressed codec", for HD, for up to 1080p30 (maybe higher) in February.

There will be other features and improvements added to this firmware release also.

Our team is meeting today to discuss what features we expect to put into this next firmware release.

The Odyssey7 (not the Odyssey7Q) will not start shipping (most likely) until after Q1, 2014.

We are increasing production to help fulfill the backlog of orders for the Odyssey7Q.

Respectfully,
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So now the 7 won't ship until after Q1... maybe. I've been holding off on buying a new field monitor. After seeing the Odyssey 7at NAB last year, it looked like it was worth the wait. But now, another delay. CD has lost me as a customer.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

We have a dilemma.

We are trying to fulfill our backlog of Odyssey7Q orders as fast as we can.

And we have increased our weekly production.

And, I do not want to state that the Odyssey7 will start shipping in Q1, when it might not.

So, I said after Q1 in my previous post.

The Odyssey7 uses the same circuit board as the Odyssey7Q, but a different FPGA is used, and two BNC's are not used.

Thus, it is still possible that we may start shipping before the end of this quarter.

I understand your reluctance to keep waiting.

Please feel free to contact me personally, any time, 24/7.

Respectfully,
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #5
New Boot

I will wait for Odyssey 7 as long as it takes. I would like to use it as a monitor only. I hope it will be possible to upgrade the firmware without buying a SSD - through the USB port. It would also be nice if I could cover the empty places for the SSDs with something - not to collect dust and dirt inside...Thanks.
Geza Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Geza,

Thank you!

Please note that there is an automatic door that closes if the SSD is removed from the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q.

I agree, we need to activate the firmware to allow firmware updates via USB. The hardware is there.

We just are working on higher priority items right now, including the "popular compressed codec".

Respectfully,
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi Dan,
Let me just start by saying that I've had a 7Q for about a month now and it truly is a remarkable piece of gear. As a monitor alone it is worth every dollar.

Do you know if your 3:2 pulldown removal will be part of this firmware mashup? In addition to using the 7Q with my FS700, I've also been using it for certain interviews with my C100's HDMI and have to go through an Atomos converter to do the 3:2 removal and HDMI>SDI conversion until the 7Q firmware update enables it internally. Hoping it's sooner than later.

Also, would it be possible to program a button (Power Down, for example) to power up the unit? It seems silly to have to unplug and replug the power cable every time you want to turn the unit back on. We were doing interview shoots all day Friday and anytime we took a break and powered down the gear (which was probably 6 times), we'd have to go through the silly process of pulling the power plug out and back in to turn it back on. Seems like it could be potentially damaging to the unit/power supply over time. Would love an option to power up via an actually button as long as the unit is already getting juice.
Cliff Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

It is so nice to hear that you like our Odyssey7Q!

I know that we plan to add 3:2 Pulldown Removal.

But, at this moment (Sunday Evening), I do not know if this will be included in our very next firmware release. I will check with our engineers.

I can help with the Power Up button that you are requesting.

First, let me set the stage, for others that may not have the Odyssey7Q yet.

1. We offer a convenient Power Down button, an actual push button, on the side of the Odyssey7Q.

Since one could press this accidently, we ask for confirmation via a Touch Screen button, before we actually power down the unit, and of course, if it was an accident, one can press "No" to cancel.

2. We also offer an emergency power down button, located on the bottom of the unit, next to the power input connector.

One must hold this down for around 5 seconds to do a "Hard Reset and Power Down".

In Option 1, we do a very nice, graceful, power down,
stopping whatever is in process, closing the SSD's, and powering down the SSD's gracefully.

We always recommend Option 1, but if one needs to power down the unit using Option 2, it is available.

We made the Option 1 button much easier to access.

--------------------------------------------------

And we do have a Power Up button.

Just press the Power Down / Power Up button briefly (just once will do), and the Odyssey7Q will power up.
(providing power is being feed into the unit).

This is the button on the bottom of the unit, the one next to the power input connector.

Respectfully,
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #9
New Boot

Thank Dan!
I feel really stupid that I haven't noticed the power on button on the bottom, especially since it's labeled "pwr on." I think in my excitement to use the 7Q I either raced through the instructions or went though a spell of read it and forget it.

Like I said... fantastic piece of equipment that I'll never be without now.
Cliff Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Cliff,

Don't feel bad.

It takes time to fully learn any piece of gear. And the "Power On/Off" Button is well hid.

Mitch is making many videos to make the learning process as easy as possible.

Respectfully,
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Major Player

7Q Firmware upgrade costs Hood issues

Hello Dan

First of all, thanks for finding a stocking dealer for me. You rock. I now have my new 7Q in hand, and am just waiting for you guys to dropship out a pair of 512 SSD's and the Sonly NP 970 battery plate in time for my Thursday International shoot departure.

The dealer did erroneously claim it is setup for 4K ProRES, all I need to do is buy the 4K RAW functionality, so I went ahead and ordered it in tine for the next production next week, only for me to find out neither is the case.

My question or hope is, those of us who are stuck buying the FS700 2K RAW key, I hope when the other firmware for the FS700 is available, we don't get gigged twice.

I don't really want the 2K RAW compared to 4K RAW and 4K ProRes, but nothing else is available at the moment so I am stuck buying that key. I certainly don't need regular HD, as the camera already does that to the internal SD card.

I also want to nudge, er, I mean encourage C.D. to get someone like Hoodman to build a real hood. The Portabrace thing is not a hood, but a wobbly pouch that looks like a giant black floppy black basset hound's ear draped over every single square inch of the monitor excepting the screen. The other 2 piece hood with the plastic and velcro looks well, hohum. I like my Hoodman and the wingnuts for my Ikan D7W, it seems to be well made, the flat pieces are nice and stiff, and it just looks cosmetically good.
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

I am very sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please contact me directly so I can find a dealer for you that has these items in stock so that we can meet your deadline.

The FS700 Option, once purchased, entitles you to the various forms of the compressed codec that we will be adding for the FS700, including 4K Options, as well as 4K Raw (if Sony provides us with permission to record 4K Raw), for free.

Personally, I like the two-piece hood very much.

The first piece, remains on your Odyssey7Q and provides some protection from the sun, as it sticks out 1.75" from the front of the unit.

This first piece provides some protection in case something swings down to hit the Odyssey7Q and it provides some protection while the unit is in a case.

The second part is good in that while it is deep (around 6 inches from the front of the unit), one can press ones face to hit, and it conforms to your face to seal out almost all or all of the light.

But, your opinion is what counts.

Respectfully,
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

This firmware update cannot come soon enough.

Yes, it is a good monitor except for the most annoying image tearing at the top of my unit. I stopped using it as a monitor for anything beyond a static talking head because this was too distracting. Certainly don't want clients to see it. So, I have had a nice paper weight on my desk for over a month now. Haven't really been able to enjoy it as a monitor even. It would be nice if CD would at least put out an update so that those of us with the bugs could get back to using these things for something. My excitement has waned significantly and I am bummed about that, but I am not jumping ship....yet.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Regular Crew

What image tearing?
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Mine doesn't show any signs of tearing at the top of the screen David. You may want to arrange for a check out with CD. It may be something beyond a firmware issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey