Monitor mounting solutions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Monitor mounting solutions?

cool. you guys seem to think of everything!

Now, if you could hurry up and add the "shoot this movie for me" button to the O7Q interface, that would be great ;)
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I am just working on another mounting aid for the Odyssey.

It is very simple an angled aluminum bracket that is threaded into the back hole with rubber back so it is impervious to turning, and it will have ¼-20 and ⅜ threaded holes for Noga arms. This will eliminate the nasty unthreading of Noga arms, because the holes are now on the bottom.

It will also have an optional battery plate for use with heavier batteries (AB/IDX style) as well as the small Sony Canon etc batteries, that attaches to this bracket so the stress is not on the small screws on the back of the Odyssey.

It will also have an optional safety bar to protect the BNC's and the power connector on the bottom of the Odyssey.

I will post photos here soon. It should be in production next week. And the basic angle bracket will be in the $40.00 range.

Any comments are welcome.

I will of course continue making my popular 15mm support system for the Odyssey.
Are these finished? Any photos or links to this new item?
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Sponsor: Westside AV

Brian they are done, just out for the anodizing.

I will post photos ASAP. I have some that are not anodized yet if you are in a desperate hurry...

PM me if you like or email me.
olof@westsideav.com

We have just been going nuts here finishing video projects as well as setting up a new CNC machine. And I am beta testing certain hardware as well. Sometimes there just are not enough hrs in the day...
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #19
New Boot

I've been using Ultra Light Control System arms for a few years. Ultralight Control Systems Their arms hold. You can mount them in any position, and their monitor mount has two pins that will locate the 7Q quite nicely.

I sort of view it as a temporary solution, but for me it works much better than a Noga arm.
Karl Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I use Ultra Light stuff as well with Cinelocks on each end. very light, flexible and sturdy.
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #21

Photos of the new Bracket

These are off to the anodizer and will be back here for shipping out on Tuesday next week.

We had a huge wet snowstorm that shut everything down for a couple days here in NH.

These will be on our WEBstore in a couple hrs if Sharyn has a a chance today. I will post link to order page here with pricing ASAP.

The nice thing about these is there is no unthreading when using a Cine Arm, and there are 2 tapped holes on the bottom, ¼" and ⅜" for any size Noga/Cine arm or other ball adapter.

They can be ordered w/o the battery plate. Or with A/B, IDX or Sony E series (FS700) battery plate as well as Canon battery plate.

There is also the option to add a protective bar to the bottom of the bracket to protect the power and BNC plugs, this was requested by Dan Keaton. I included holes for this but I have yet to finalize the design of that bar.

The great thing about adding a heavy battery this way is it is attached to my rugged bracket not the 3mm holes in the back of the Odyssey.

I will of course keep making my standard 15mm based mounting kit as well.

http://www.westsideavstore.com
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor mounting solutions?-o7qbrackettii-1.jpg   Monitor mounting solutions?-o7qbrackettii-2.jpg  

Monitor mounting solutions?-o7qbrackettii-3.jpg  
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Olof,

How does the Noga arm attach to your bracket? Is it just a threaded hole? If so, how does that solve the problem of the monitor and bracket rotating free like just the arm screwing into the O7Q?

Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
Hi Olof,

How does the Noga arm attach to your bracket? Is it just a threaded hole? If so, how does that solve the problem of the monitor and bracket rotating free like just the arm screwing into the O7Q?

Thanks.
Paul, the unthreading happens easily on the Odyssey because the ¼" hole is in the back, so the Odyssey can just flip counterclockwise very easily and it then will build up speed and smack into something like the camera or lens. I have had clients complain about this. If you have a big battery on the Odyssey this will cause a big crash...

By having the hole in the bottom, it will just become loose not spin around and bang into things. I also put a rubber coating on the bottom and Odyssey side of the bracket this makes it hold far better.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Olof,

The camera end will still be a problem though - that's where I find most problems with unscrewing.

I still think the Sony solution is great - if someone could replicate that.

Paul.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #25

Paul, yes all the arms can collapse and cause problems but the unscrewing part can be improved by using the rubber I supply even on the camera handle or cheese plate you mount on the camera. The thin but tough rubber really improves the holding of the ⅜ or ¼ screw.

It is best to use a vertical hole not a side mount hole.

I also make a Noga Arm bracket that attaches to the unused rosette for the pan bar on most tripod heads. This is a good way to mount any monitor, but it stays with the head so it is not for shouldering.

It is available here:
Cine Arm Bracket
Attached Images

Old March 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #26
Major Player

Thats interesting. I use large nylon washers instead of your rubber and that does help a lot but it's still prone to being knocked loose. With the thumb screw on the Noga thread, you're just putting pressure on the thread to hold it but the main thread can still come loose - hence my comments about a locking pin. Maybe your rubber is better than the nylon at tightening and exerting even more locking force on the thread?

I'm surprised no one else apart from Sony has come up with a good 100% locking solution yet.
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #27

The new Cine Arm level Bracket is now available on our WEBstore, with numerous different optional battery plates.

Odyssey Level Cine Arm Mount: Westside A V Studios WEB Store
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T. Young View Post
I use Ultra Light stuff as well with Cinelocks on each end. very light, flexible and sturdy.
Brian - what's the cinelock you mention?

Thanks.

Ah - found it - look good.

1) How do you stop the Noga unscrewing from the cinelock though?
2) Does the double screw on the cinelock fit the rear mounting AND locating pin holes on the O7Q?
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #29
New Boot

Question for Olof-
with your Cine Arm mount (40 USD) is it possible to use CD's own battery plate for e.g. Sony batteries (CD-OD-SLPLATE).
Thanks.
Geza Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #30
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571960-REG/16x9_Inc_169_CL_01_169_CL_01_Cine_Lock_Quick.html
they're great - very solid, very quick and it allows great flexibility in mounting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey