O7Q compressed CODEC data rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM   #1
Major Player

O7Q compressed CODEC data rates?

Some questions regarding compressed HD recording with the upcoming Feb firmware:

1) When support appears for the compressed CODEC shortly, will there be options to set the recording data rate or will this be fixed?

2) Are the record times as shown on the chart on the CD website or has this changed at all?

I think my major use of my O7Q will be to record mainly HD compressed (super sampled 4k) with occasional high frame rate shots. Having the ability to select a data rate that gives me the choice of quality vs file size for a particular project is very important. Not all projects would justify the additional expense of significantly larger files over the FS700 inbuilt recording options. Some will though.

Having the choice will be great but is this the plan for the development of the compressed CODEC or not?

Thanks.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: O7Q compressed CODEC data rates?

Dear Paul,

For our upcoming firmware release, due out around the end of February 2014, we expect to offer:

A popular compressed codec, at 220 Mbps, in HD (1920 x 1080), 4:2:2 YCbCr, up to at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 frames per second., thus, up to 1080p30.

Later we will add 50, 59.94, and 60 (up to 1080p60) at a higher bit rate.

And we will add an RGB 4:4:4 version at a higher bit rate.

The approximate recording times listed on our website, for the compressed codec at 220 Mbps, are still valid as far as I know.

Respectfully,
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dan,

Will you support the lower data rate (147 and 100mbps) modes too (for those projects that don't need higher quality) and also proxy mode? They would be great for the longer format projects.

Will the same options also be available for the 4k super sampled to HD mode?

Thanks.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

For this upcoming firmware release, we will only support the 220 Mbps version.

We expect to support more Bit-Rate versions in the future, but first we want to add 4K versions and RGB 4:4:4 versions.

Respectfully,
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dan.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey