Problem in Stereo 3D Toolbox LE with GoPro cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery > Dashwood Cinema Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
New Boot

Problem in Stereo 3D Toolbox LE with GoPro cameras

Hi,

I'm just at the first stages of playing around with 3D and have downloaded the trial version of Stereo 3D toolbox & using FCP 6. I have clips from left and right cameras (GoPro Hero HD), and have looked at the video tutorials on the Dashwood site. All makes sense. The only problem I'm having is that in the video viewer and canvas windows, whichever clip is in the Image Well seems to display at 100%. I can change the image magnification for the clip side, but the well image stays at the same magnification. How can I fit the well image to the window, so left and right images are at the same scale and I can start with the convergence etc.
Please excuse me if I'm being very stupid- I'm not particularly proficient on final cut pro either!

Thanks in advance,

Fergus
Fergus Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2
New Boot

I just found another thread by a user with a similar problem, where Tim Dashwood suggested transcoding the clips first- I'll try that.
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
New Boot

OK, so I tried transcoding to Prores 422 before importing the clips, but still the same results. The clip from the image well always appears zoomed. Any ideas?
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Fergus.

We have a knowledge-base article on this known issue with FCP.
One Eye Resized/Scaled Help
This problem doesn't occur in After Effects or Motion.
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. In this case I'm not sure that's the issue. The GoPro camera shoots in progressive (30p in this case) and the field dominance is set to 'none' in the clip properties.
In the meantime, I've worked around the problem by setting the input to 'two image wells' and expanding the window to fill most of my screen- that way I can see most of the frame and align/converge them.

The results are encouraging for a first try!

Fergus
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test the GoPro cameras but I do remember one client having issues with them in non-standard-HD modes. Basically HD modes that are not 16x9 and cannot easily be transcoded into ProRes 422.

I will try to get a couple of these cameras soon to build a knowledge base article around them.
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #7
New Boot

Ahh, could be that, I was shooting at 960p, I'll try shooting in 720p and report back as to how that works out, thanks.

Last edited by Fergus Kennedy; September 10th, 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: extra info
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #8
New Boot

OK, I've been trying it at 720p (60fps), it seems that FCP doesn't even want to import this at all, as the raw file, so I transcoded to prores 422, then imported and Stereo 3D Toolbox worked absolutely fine. It seems that it's the 960p which causes problems, and even then you can work round it by using two images wells. Hopefully this is some use to somebody. Incidentally, I managed to get the two gopros in sync to my satisfaction anyway, using the simple hand-clap technique. I'm hoping to shoot some underwater 3d with them before too long, as I have the modified 'Eye of Mine" underwater housings.
Fergus Kennedy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery > Dashwood Cinema Solutions