DN-60 and Canon XH-A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Formerly known as nNovia QuickCapture QC A2D2 other nNovia products.

Old April 9th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: DN-60 and Canon XH-A1

Well, it's been a while since the DN-60 fiasco. I resolved to not trying to get a decent unit and purchased the FS-CF Pro. So far it looks pretty solid. My tests reveal that it works with my camera, can be controlled by the A1, and will record 1080i 30F M2T files without any issues.
I have a job this weekend and will be using the FS-CF Pro - along with a tape for backup. Hopefully this will work and I can stop using tapes.
I like that I can get 2.5 hours on one 32GB CF card.

I'll post an update on my results.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

JB
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi, all! Looks like it's been almost a year since someone contributed to this string, so I hope someone will see this post! After following all the dialogue here, it looks like I'll be ordering 2 of the FS-CF Pro units. Doesn't sound like the DN60 is a viable solution, based on the hiccups folks are experiencing. That said, what is the best way to mount the FS? On sticks? Handheld?

I just finished an all day seminar session and the thought of capturing all that footage--on two cameras--was the convincing factor. I'd love to go out and buy newer cameras with card technology built in, but it's not in the cards right now. Plus those ol' XH-A1s still shoot nice images--as long as the light's good!

Thanks, everyone!
TW
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!

Last edited by Terry Wall; January 24th, 2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Yeah, it's been more than a year. I was having trouble with one of my cameras back then, and it was the firewire port on the camera. Since having the port repaired, I've experienced no problems whatsoever with either of my cameras and their DN-60 units. No problems at all. The big warning, be careful with the firewire port on the XH-A1. They are fragile. Probably why Canon changed the design on the A1S port.
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #19
Major Player

Three DN-60's worked great for me once I learned how to turn off and on the XH-A1's. You need to use a good quality thick FireWire cable and follow the instructions.
I still haven't found a quality alternative to the A1.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #20
Major Player

I love the A1 when I'm shooting outdoors with plenty of light. Not so good indoors unless I use lights. Just recently got a relatively new DSLR that shoots video. Need to practice with it a while before using it on any paying jobs. Since getting the two DN-60s, still have some life left in my A1 and A1S.
Old May 7th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Roger, I sent you a PM about the Focus vs Datavideo debate, but it's probably moot, since Focus Enhancements discontinued the FS-CF(pro) units. Guess I'll be picking up a couple DN60s...largely on the strength of your positive feelings about the units--as long as they're used correctly! Is there a YouTube or Vimeo tutorial? Thanks for the feedback, and for picking up the thread!

~TW
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #22
Major Player

Terry follow these steps if you are recording to tape and CF:
Format CF within DN-60 only
1. Turn on DN-60 with CF card installed
2. Turn on XH-A1 and wait for green light. It can take up to 20 seconds.
3. Put in tape.
4. Press record and both should start recording
5. Every time you pause it starts a new file.
6. You can change tape and continue
7. Reverse order to shut down.
8. Do a (Make Media) before removing CF card
Hope I got it right.
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wall View Post
Roger, I sent you a PM about the Focus vs Datavideo debate, but it's probably moot, since Focus Enhancements discontinued the FS-CF(pro) units. Guess I'll be picking up a couple DN60s...largely on the strength of your positive feelings about the units--as long as they're used correctly! Is there a YouTube or Vimeo tutorial? Thanks for the feedback, and for picking up the thread!

~TW
Hey Terry.

Haven't received your PM. Greg's post is what I do with my two units, except I don't use tapes anymore.

DataVideo has posted a number of videos on YouTube for the DN-60. Typing DataVideo DN-60 in the YouTube search bar pulls them all up. Perhaps they are still manufacturing units. Maybe not. Last time I checked B&H still had some in stock.

Don't forget to set the Digital Video Control the way it says on page 74 of the XH-A1 manual. That would be on page 85 of the XH-A1S manual. I just leave it set that way all the time.

Also, don't forget to stop recording before turning the DN-60 off or you might lose some of your footage. Just pressing stop on the camera works for me.

After a while, it all becomes second nature.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; May 8th, 2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: another tip
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Roger - question for you... I was looking at the DN-60 , but it looks like its powered by AA batteries? How long of a span do you usually get before having to swap them?

All - I too use XH-A1S cameras still, due to the amazing image quality... I do not have the $$ yet to invest in an XF300 , which would be my next step... I have done research on the Focus unit vs the DN60 , it seems that those who have either working, it works well, but there seem to be many who seem to have problems...

Obviously I am still using tape... :)
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #25
Major Player

The AA batteries I use seem to last at least as long as the batteries for the camera. I use PowerX AA Rechargeables and have gotten 4 hours out of them. I bought a charger, also a PowerX, that lets me charge 8 of them at one time.

I also used Eveready Lithium AA batteries all day once. That would be expensive to do all the time.

However, for long indoor gigs I use the AC Power adapters that come with the DN-60s, and also use the adapters for the camera too.

Outdoor shoots, I try to use good judgement to pick a time for swapping out batteries in the cameras and the recorders.
Old May 10th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #26
Major Player

I just completed a 4 hour dance show using the DN-60, but also using tape. I thought my batteries would last but they didn't. I should have changed them at Intermission. Thank goodness I was using tape as well but I definitely learned about life expectancy of a battery using the DN-60. My wife had no problems because she used electrical to power her DN-60. Using only the DN-60 will come with trust.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Question to the group here, since we're all holdin' on to our A1's and A1s's as long as we can: Because the HDV format is 1440x1080, do you guys get any resistance from folks expecting 1920x1080?

Thx!

Last edited by Terry Wall; May 12th, 2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Can't spell!
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #28
Major Player

I never get complaints in Bluray or DVD. I have come to the realization that the customer is interested in content first. Tell a good story and you can use only DV if you wish.
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Glad to hear it, Greg, and my sentiments exactly!

~TW
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders