Organizing Effects Clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Organizing Effects Clips

I’m making a short that’s all on green screen (my 2nd green screen short) and I am running into organization problems every time I make one of these. Or anything that has a lot of effects. Basically I’m not sure what I should name my exported clips and where I should put them. I have a system of organization right now but it doesn’t seem to be optimum. I wanted to know what are all your ways of organizing effect clips? What folders are they in on your hard drives? How do you name them? Where do the save files go? All that’s stuff.

Basically I’m not happy with my effects organization and I want a new one. So any suggestions are great.

Thanx
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone have any suggestions?
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Trustee

Create a separate folder for your FX, and label the clips according to the scene and shot number, e.g. \roto\4.3#1.avi means scene 4, shot 3, take 1.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thats my current system but sometimes I have to do effects before I edit. For example. If I want something to be interpolated slow motion I will have to export the original then slow it down, render it and re-import it. A lot of times after seeing stuff cut together I change my mind and want to add a shot. Lets say I add a shot between shot 5 and 6 of my scene well what should I do? Call it 5.5? It seems to mess up the organization of my system and I'm one of those ppl that is very crazy about my organization.

Does anyone know how professional visual effect companies like ILM organize their footage?
Alan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects