Vegas and After Effects - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 29th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Thank you Marcus. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. But I must be truthful and admit I don't do well learning these types of things from a book. I am an avid reader of other materials, but for applications it doesn't translate for me, I've never know why.

Nevertheless, I thank you again.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Specifically for photo/cut-out/3D work check out training and demos by Josh Fozzard (www.pickwhipstudios.com) and "The Making of A 3D Photomontage"(www.pixelpops.com).

These guys are setting the pace.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Not a patch on the work described in the last post but here is my first attempt at that kind of thing. Actually this is probably my first AE comp of any real complexity, having used it for titles and 2d stuff for a couple of years.

www.film-it.net/client/ppintro.mov

At first the client didn't want me to show this as the sequence contains images of children from thethe school but it transpires that all of these kids have now left and most of them have returned overseas, so they relaxed the rules a bit!

Still to be tidied up (this is the client approval copy) but gives a flavour.

I took the scribbled sketches from a school term wall planner that the client had had made for them and animated the insects, clouds, sun, flowers etc (v. basic animation!). I took the kids pictures from another brochure they use and all the other colours (esp the sky and grass) were lifted from that also. Then I dropped them into my virtual 'garden', animated a camera to fly through, added some lights and that was about it. The music is probably not the final choice but was added to give depth to help the client to review the piece.

Sad to say my pre planning was lacking and this doubled the length of time it took to produce. Had I done a little more than just sketch this out on a napkin I would have found it a lot easier! The biggest problem came when the client asked me to shave off 10 seconds. Ouch.

Anyway, great learning experience. I've seen the photo montage video mentioned earlier but not seen the tutorials - must look into that.

Cheers. Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Sorry, I went a bit off topic in the last post - what I meant to say was that I have been inspired and educated through a great book called Creative After Effects 7 by Angie Taylor. Also a book called After Effects & Photoshop by Jeff Foster is well worth a mention, as is the new Chris & Trish Meyer book (not scheduled for release until 2008 but I seem to have got a copy OK from Amazon uin the UK! Not sure how but no complaints!). Working through that one now.

Jeff, it's interesting that you say you don't do so well from a book. I was EXACTLY the same with Vegas - no book really did it for me - I learnt through trial and error, by doing every tutorial under the sun, and by using it for hours every single day.

But with After Effects it was the opposite!! Trial and error had me so utterly frustrated that I turned to the books and started to pick it up from there. Long way to go still, but that was the nudge I needed.

Hope it's the same for you. Vegas books, nil points. After Effects books, douze points! (Hmm, that reference ain't gonna work outside Europe!).
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #20
Trustee

Thank god the rest of the world has not been exposed to that kitsch.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks for the encouragement Ian.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

You should also check out this link :

http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/ad...ectcs3_ess.asp

I have the complete training set for AE 6.5 Pro and its absolutely superb. Informative, and well presented

As a result of some of that training, other tutorials on the web and fiddling around and playing you can make simple little effects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDRN7rDmEM

Or move towards more dynamic movement type styles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMI3nL0RHAU

You can see the tutorials for the above effect at the following website : http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e.html

If you need to ask any questions, drop me a line.
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
Thank god the rest of the world has not been exposed to that kitsch.
Sorry, don't understand! I'm hoping you're referring to Eurovision, not my video!!
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Great site Niall, thanks for the link (ayatoweb.com).
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Sorry, don't understand! I'm hoping you're referring to Eurovision, not my video!!
Haha, yes I meant the ESC!
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Great site Niall, thanks for the link (ayatoweb.com).
No problem at all.

Some of the tutorials have gaps in them, what with English not being his first language. So the steps sometimes are a little lacking in detail required.

Best bet, is to use them as inspiration and then play around with the effects you are using to see what they do, and how they work.

The TSN wipe stinger I did, took me 2-3hours to do initially. Now I can rollout custom ones to requirement in around 15mins.

Its all about practice. Drop me a line if you need any more help
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Oh in addition:

recommended plug-ins for After Effects

www.zaxwerks.com - Look at Invigorator Pro. Can use Illustrator files, and can be animated.

http://www.trapcode.com/ - Checkout shine on this website. Incredible Plugin

Just to show simple effects using these plugins (yes I know they suck :P)

Example of Invigorator :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Vd-FovEy4

Example of Shine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqGXWx5BSM
The TsN wipe was using shine as linked in other post.
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects