Can you use AE with FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you use AE with FCP?

is it possible to export my AE (CS3 version) graphics work (lower thirds, muzzle flashes, blood squirts, etc) with a transparent background into FCP over my video footage? if so then what is the exporting process?
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Just export the clip with an alpha channel. Go into the output settings, then video, and choose "RGB+alpha", etc.
Bring the clip into FCP, and it should just work.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hi daniel that's what i did and when i bring it into FCP it has a black background.

what am i doing wrong?
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

i dunno if FC shows the alpha channel like AE, have you tried dropping something behind just to be sure?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i'm not sure. i'll tell you exactly what i did though.

i made my edits to a 30 second commercial in FCP. Saved that project and exported it to a quicktime file.

then i imported the quicktime file into AE and created some text effects and a coupla graphics. then i turned off the layer with the video before exporting it out of AE again and just selected rgb+alpha channel.

then i imported the AE graphics/quicktime file and placed it above the original project in FCP and i am not able to see anything execpt my graphics from AE. it doesn't overlay on top of my video footage inside FCP.

i was thinking my AE graphics/text effects would line up and you would be able to see everything (video in FCP that's on the layer under it) in the background??? kinda like when you work with FCP & motion graphics.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Carver View Post
i'm not sure. i'll tell you exactly what i did though.

i made my edits to a 30 second commercial in FCP. Saved that project and exported it to a quicktime file.

then i imported the quicktime file into AE and created some text effects and a coupla graphics. then i turned off the layer with the video before exporting it out of AE again and just selected rgb+alpha channel.

then i imported the AE graphics/quicktime file and placed it above the original project in FCP and i am not able to see anything execpt my graphics from AE. it doesn't overlay on top of my video footage inside FCP.

i was thinking my AE graphics/text effects would line up and you would be able to see everything (video in FCP that's on the layer under it) in the background??? kinda like when you work with FCP & motion graphics.
Change the composite transfer mode of your AE layer to screen?
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Major Player

When you export from AE try using the animation codec and then "millions of colors+" make sure you get the + as it represents the alpha channel, it works for me when I do it that way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects