Mac pro riuned my AE CS3 Luma keys! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Mac pro riuned my AE CS3 Luma keys!

I moved my license for CS3 to a new macpro. I've been working on an animation on my powerbook. I tryed to finish my project in the macpro. The project is fine in the powerbook, but in the macpro my luma keys are all messed up. I have a white square with writing on it, I've keyed out the whit, so I just have writing. But on the Macpro IT OUTLINES THE WHITE SQUARES with a thin black line. My animation looks like an etcha sketch. It's ruined, but looks fine on my powerbook.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't really think the mac pro ruined it. But the software may be configured differently, or corrupt.
Post some stills, because I'm confused.
Do you have a demo version on the mac pro instead? Or the license may have not transferred properly.
Is your display simply showing more contrast and revealing errors?
What you describe may be matte lines, which could come from a bad key in the first place, just visible now.
Anyway, that's vague but all I can say without seeing something.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Rather misleading title for a thread. Don't blame hardware.. it's not the Mac Pro.. I own a Mac Pro and use AE as well.

This is a poor analogy, but it'd be like someone saying: "I blame my new Subaru Imprezza for not driving as well on snow as my Honda Civic".

Your Mac Pro is superior to your G4 PowerBook; fix/upgrade the preferences/software (tires) and learn to drive with a new system (different handling and all-wheel-drive).

Please share some stills.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Major Player

It is the macpro! If I open/render the video in the macpro it looks messed up, if I render it in my powerbook it looks perfect. It's got nothing to do with the displays, It's got nothing to with my keying or me at all. It has to do with which computer I'm opening the project in.
I have keyed out a white square, but in the macpro the invisible white square is perfectly outlined with a thin black line. I am certain it is not the key, it is obviously a glitch or a viewing option that I don't know about and it's embeded in the render.
It's not like I'm not working as well on a new computer, I'm just opening a project. It looks and renders correct everywhere accept the Macpro (including a PC I'm using).

Trust me the stills won't help at all, the animation is complicated and you would need to look at individual layers and photoshop files to see that it is simply outlining all luma-keyed pictures.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Trying to help you find the problem. Please work with the suggestions:

a) The best chance is that it's a software problem, and this is most likely. Reinstall the software you're using, the plug ins, the OS. I've had two problems with AE7 and they were solved by these actions.

b) If you're 100% sure is the Mac Pro, contact Apple and get it fixed or replaced under your warranty. If this is the case, this is the wrong thread to be posting this problem in.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, then I guess you should toss that in the trash and just use the laptop.
Or, figure out what's wrong with the installation of the program.

There's not much we can do to help if you won't post stills and won't try our advice. Good luck.

There is, I guess, some small chance that your computer simply is broken, with a glitch in the processor-- so go replace it with your warranty. But that's so incredibly unlikely... I'd find it a waste of time to even look into that.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects