Best shutter speed for greenscreen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Best shutter speed for greenscreen?

I shoot alot of greenscreen, and have always used 30 as the shutter speed. It has always worked well since it reduces grain, and seems similar to 24p.
The problem is with fast motion things totally dissapear.
I'd like to fix this and wonder what other people have done with fast motion and green screen.
I am shooting with HDV 1080i sony hdr-fx1, and I don't really have time for experimenting.
Thanks
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Major Player

The best solution is to use a normal shutter speed, and find a keyer that can handle the motion blur... Motion blur and fine detail were two of my biggest concerns when building dvmatte pro 3. Of course, there are plenty of keyers out there, so when in doubt, test them against each other!
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Major Player

I use dvmatte. Another thing I've been thinking about is shooting with a higher shutter speed and later exporting it as a slow mo clip. Then keying that slow mo clip. Any thoughts on that?
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The problem with that is that by shortening the shutterspeed, you're limiting the light hitting the sensor... which means you're more likely to have to increase gain on the camera, which is not good for keying.

Really, the best option is to shoot normally. The new dvmatte pro is a quantum leap beyond the older versions, especially with semi-transparent areas like motion blur.

Good luck!
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Right, so if I shoot a higher shutter speed there will be more grain? That's why I was considering slowing down the clip and exporting it. So that the slow mo looks good, and I'm wondering if that exported clip would diffuse the grain since it's so slow. I would key the new clip, not the original.
I'm sure you can't advise to do stuff the wrong way, but I think I'll experiment and see what happens...
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Ben,

Are you guys going to offer DVMatte Pro 3 for After Effects? I used v1.5 a few years ago with VX-1000 footage and it saved my show.

Just hoping for DVMatte Pro 3 for AE/Windows

Thanks,

Jim
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Was wondering the exact same thing. Shutter set to 200 worked nice for fast movements like hands that wave or something but grealty! increased my grain on a canon ah x1. shooting with 25 or 50 shutter blurred and my keyer (bcc chroma key and ultra) does not seem to handle it.

any replies on a decent keyer for adobe premiere pro cs3 for windows (this is *very* important to my postpro) in the next 4 hours are HIGHLY appreciated. my shoot begins in exactly 5 hours...

:)

thanks folks!
-daniel
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
Ben,

Are you guys going to offer DVMatte Pro 3 for After Effects? I used v1.5 a few years ago with VX-1000 footage and it saved my show.

Just hoping for DVMatte Pro 3 for AE/Windows

Thanks,

Jim
I'm an AE user too.

From what I've seen in this forum, the new DVMatte looks very good.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #9
New Boot

I'd say shoot it in either 24, 30 or 60 fps, doesn't really matter just depends on what "look" or "feel" you like best.

To crisp up your motion or movement just jack up your shutter speed and work on your lighting if it's too dark. (ie instead of using 1/24 shutter speed [at 24p] use 1/60 or 1/100 at 24p...etc) What that will do is the camera will still only record 24 frames/second (assuming you have the cam set to 24p) but it will only record the first 1/60th or 1/100th of each 1/24th of a second, make sense? Try it and see what results you can get. Could also open your iris up if too dark with higher shutter speed.
Conrad VanLandingham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects