Converting video from a mac to pc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old March 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting video from a mac to pc

I'm doing some effects for a buddies film, the problem is that I have a PC using Premeire Pro and After Effects and my buddy is on a mac using final cut. He converted the footage to a quicktime .mov file because he said he couldn't do a .avi file. The file was really choppy and not full video quality even though he put it in 720 X 480.

They are shooting in MiniDV

Anyone know a good way to convert video better then that??
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Major Player

you could always export to mini dv, then recapture on the PC. Then the PC will have it in the best available format
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The problem is we are a couple hours away from eachother!
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Kauss View Post
The problem is we are a couple hours away from eachother!
If the file is choppy on his side of the computer connection, it's simply a bad encoding.

If the file is only choppy on your side of the computer connection, it may be because he encoded it in H.264, and that takes a lot of processing power - which you might not have.

If that's the case, take his H.264 .mov file and do a straight-up conversion to an uncompressed .avi file.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The file he gave me was about three and a half minutes long and was only 88 megs when I did a uncompressed avi it was like 500 megs. I think he mussed have compressed it and not known.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Major Player

What is the file for (what are you editing with)? It only needs to look good in that program, I'm not sure what you are watching it on, but just cause it doesn't look good in quicktime (for example) doesn't mean the file is not full quality and wouldn't look great in after effects.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I was using after effects and Premeire to look at it, If I zoom in at all in after effects it gets pixalated really quick (which shouldn't happen with a high quality file) and since the film is going to be shown at a movie theater (not just a tv or computer) everything has to be the best quality.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Kauss View Post
I was using after effects and Premeire to look at it, If I zoom in at all in after effects it gets pixalated really quick (which shouldn't happen with a high quality file) and since the film is going to be shown at a movie theater (not just a tv or computer) everything has to be the best quality.
There are 2 things that could have happened. He should check on the top left of his timeline where it says RT. In this drop down menu make sure everything is "dynamic" so that the quality is high. Safe should also be checked as opposed to unlimited.
Or he may have selected quicktime conversion when exporting, and compressed the video.
Now that the quality is dynamic in Final Cut go to file, "export quicktime" (NOT quicktime conversion!) Check "make movie self contained" do NOT check "re-compress" or whatever it is. This will quickly export a video as uncompressed as it can be from FCP. He will have a "FCP movie" that can open in quicktime. It is a .MOV but may not have that extension, he should type that in for your pc to recognize the file type.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if PCs can play these FCP movies, but I work with PCs sometimes and don't remember this ever being a problem.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Man I will give this a try!
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects