Anyone done outside greenscreening? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone done outside greenscreening?

I am going to be doing a digital compositing experiment and thought I might try an outdoor greenscreen shot to see how it compares to indoor. I want to do it in sunlight not overcast to see how convincing the lighting is off the object.
Anyone tried it? Tips etc?

Thanks
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I did some not too long ago. Biggest problem I ran into with sunlight is the brightness - it caused a lot of reflection and thus green spill (my talent being close to the green material - I was filming a scene where he was climbing up a building. I shot this on our driveway with the talent "climbing" along. It worked, but my results were not quite what I was hoping for).

I shot from multiple angles, and for some reason the shadows came out fine from the side but not from the front.
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Interesting thanks.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Trustee

kelly,

we did a major shoot with greenscreen outdoors. time constraints did not allow us to transfer indoors for the composite shots. I bought a collapsible frame to stretch on the greenscreen.

The benefits are, natural looking light to match the non composite shots.

Things to watch for are; make sure your green screen is either thick or is proped up against a plain flat wall. otherwise you'll see thru the cloth. take note of walls or dark background in the area
And to match shadows take note of where the sun is at certain times of the day at that location.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Good advice exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks Ted.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects