Fixing lighting in background at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Fixing lighting in background

Here's what happened:

I got permission to film in an actual diner. We started in the afternoon, and did our last scene just as the sun was setting.

The action takes place in a booth right up against the windows. We had the curtains drawn, but obviously there's light from outside.

Except for the last scene we shot, were it is noticeably darker outside. This can't be explained in the story, it's an obvious continuity problem. I was thinking there might be a way in compositing to help this?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis,

Any chance you can post a couple of frame grabs to show what the two different lighting states are like? And, what compositing software do you have access to?

Cheers
Pat
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Major Player

I tried doing that, I keep getting 'Request Entity Too Large'. The files are .bmp, and 2.63 MB which seems under the legal limit.

Any ideas?
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can email them to me if you like. Although please note that I may be of absolutely no use to you whatsoever ;-)

pat(at)caliburnproductions.com
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

See if you can save the frame grabs as JPG or PNG, as BMP will alwyas be too large, but jpg or PNG are compressed and will be a lot smaller.
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Major Player

That seems to have worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing lighting in background-darkerscene.jpg   Fixing lighting in background-lighterscene.jpg  

Old October 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Maybe those grabs aren't representative, but it doesn't look that off. What software are you using. Have you thought of selecting out the curtain area, and just adjusting levels so they will be closer ? In her shot, I notice it is a bit translucent, and I assume that is more what issue is ? Are the shots lock down or is there camera movement during shots. Is it possible to reshoot current and do background replacement.
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, that's pretty representative. Basically it's only the 'darkerscene.jpg.' bit, which isn't very long, that's the problem.

Maybe I could even leave it as is, and suffer the slings and arrows of people who dig into stuff like that. But it would be nice to fix it, or make it less noticeable.

You are correct, it is the translucent light coming through the curtains.

I have Adobe Production Studio CS, so I have Premiere Pro CS, Adobe AE CS, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Major Player

From the look of it you should be able to pull a luma mask off of the curtains; it will take some cleaning up, but if you feather it you can use it to just brighten these up.

You can also double up the footage in AE and play with the blending modes and layer opacity to brighten up the scene.

If the highlights are headlights (from cars) you could duplicate the footage and timeshift it a bit, then track the lights for a moving mask. Only if the curtains are not moving and you are locked down.

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; October 12th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects