Which GPU is fully compatible with After Effects CS4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which GPU is fully compatible with After Effects CS4?

Hi everybody,

I have a big problem. After Effects crashes at startup and it appears it is because of my GPU and its associated driver. After several hours installing desinstalling reinstalling tweaking with an Adobe Technician over the phone, I am done.

I pretty sure that if I buy a new GPU, the software will work.

So here is my question, what do you think would be the best GPU for After Effects CS4?

My current GPU is ASUS DK Radeon EAH4870 1 GBDDR5. Asus drivers are really bad. That is sad because, apart from being incompatible with AE and Photoshop, this GPU works great.

Thank you in advance for your precious and urgent help.

PS: I cannot afford the Quadro CX :)
Kadafi Marouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Get the best Quadro card you can afford. These cards are tweaked out for the best possible Open L support. AE relies on Open GL for the best previews and workflow. the Quadro FX 1700 is $499.95

Videoguys Quadro NVIDIA FX by PNY Technologies - Graphics Boards

Gary
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Gary,

I've just read the thread of somebody in another forum who stated that the Nvidia GeForce GTX260 has been certified by Adobe to be fully compatible with CS4. I cannot find the official statement by Adobe. Could anyone confirm that? Does anybody use this card and have After Effects CS4? A feedback would be really appreciated. It is a much less expensive card (around $250) and more powerful than the cheapest Quadros. Thus, if it appears that it is fully compatible, we will gain in playback framerate and speed over the low-end Quadros.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kadafi Marouf; February 5th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

GeForce GTX 260 feedback

Hi guys,

Just wanted you to know that I bought the EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX260 for about $200 on eBay and it runs After Effects great.

Kadafi.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

- good to hear that you're up and running -

I'm surprised to hear that you had issues with your Radeon card. I'm running a Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 with CS4 with no significant issues.
I'd like to note that in most cases you're better off using the chipset maker's drivers versus the manufacturer's
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects