Buying a green screen, and some lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a green screen, and some lights

Howdy. I'm in the market for a green screen, and I'll also need some lights. I read a thread or two that recommended the eefx.com green screens, and they do look nice. But is there anywhere else that may have options as well? I'm also looking for lights. I can probably just look around at store like Wally World, but I wanted to check if there was anything that I needed to look out for from everyone here.

Also, I'll need some curtains! So, that makes it a green screen, lights, and some curtains :)
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jared, I have the EEFX greenscreen and it does work out to be better than the typical green muslin cloth type greenscreen. It is also less wrinkle prone and you can walk on it without ruining it.

Lighting a greenscreen is a whole other topic. You definitely want broad diffused light hitting the screen that's the same color temperature that you will light your subject with. I don't think you can get by with the home depot lights without extra hassles in post. 500w tungsten photofloods seem to work the best for me.

Have fun!
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Search this forum. The information you want is easily found.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Les is right, theres a lot of good info. If I was going to sum up though:

1. GS - the more is "holds" light and spreads it evenly, the better. You can get away with a cheaper GS but it'll take you longer to hand and light
2. Lights: if you can, go daylight, digital will give you a better key. You need to be able to meter your backdrop versus your talent well too. Make sure your reflected reading is even across and you have at least a stop at very min up or down vs foreground. I prefer kinos for lighting.
3. Curtains, no ideas :)
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Major Player

The best greenscreens in the world are from Composite Components in LA. They're not cheap, but they more than make up for themselves in the post time you'll save. The screens are almost supernaturally green, and nearly light themselves. See attached.

If you want to really goose up the greenscreen, gel your greenscreen lights with Lee 738 as I describe in this thread. Or use the green fluorescent tubes from Composite Components or KinoFlo.

And of course, good software can't hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a green screen, and some lights-3626349791_dcf5072320.jpg  
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects