After Effects CS4 & 12gb RAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects CS4 & 12gb RAM

Hi!

I`m just buying a new Core i7 editing machine, and wondering if there is need to buy 12 gb of ram. Can After effects use that much ram? Is 6 gb enough? I need to know because of motherboard...

Thanks in advance
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

on AE support page I found the following:

"After Effects on 64-bit Windows operating systems can use up to 4 GB of RAM with no special configuration for each After Effects process.
In this form of multiprocessing, each background process renders its own frame and runs on a separate processor core (CPU). The number of processes used to render multiple frames simultaneously is never more than the number of processors"

As I understand this you can assign max 4gb of memory to each core meaning 16gb of memory for a quadcore, but I guess you still need to leave some for your own OS to operate.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This whitepaper covers the topic pretty well at least as a high level discussion of 64-bit performance. The particulars on After Effects are on pages 3 and 4.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...m_64bit_wp.pdf

Note their tip at the end of page 4:

"For After Effects, be sure you have the 9.0.1 update, and adjust the amount of memory
per core for the Memory & Multiprocessing option under Preferences. After Effects will
also instance itself, but it does this per CPU core, and each core can use 4GB."
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just found a more detailed article:

Adobe After Effects CS4 * Memory & Multiprocessing preferences

Hope that helps.....
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects