Good low budget CCD or 3CCD camera for matchmoving? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Good low budget CCD or 3CCD camera for matchmoving?

Can someone recommend me a decent ccd or 3ccd that shoots similiar to the hv30 as far as image quality goes? I dont want to spend over $800 if I can avoid it. I dont expect it to be pro-sumer or anything. Just something that will allow good matchmoving tracks (CMOS are bad for matchmoving due to shutter speed).

Thanks!

Hairston
William Hairston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Trustee

If you check around you can find an HV-30 or HV-20 for much less. Try eBay just check out the seller before you buy. The HV-20 and 30 are CMOS however, not CCD.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Shutter speed has nothing to do with anything here, although I think you may be referring to the rolling shutter used by CMOS cameras. Rolling shutter artifacts like "judder" or "jello-cam" can be reduced by knowing how to properly shoot. Matchmoving will be excruciatingly difficult if you have tons of jerky motion and whip pans- on a CMOS sensor or a CMOS sensor. With matchmoving, it's better to plan out your shots beforehand instead of just saying "ah, we'll worry about that in post!"

However, if you absolutely MUST have a CCD camera, I suggest looking for something on Craigslist or the Classified section here. Most new handycams are built with CMOS sensors because they're more sensitive, slightly less expensive, and more efficient with electricity than CCD imagers.

edit: Keep in mind that if CMOS based cameras were really that bad for motion tracking/matchmoving/etc. , the RED camera probably wouldn't be rising through the ranks as fast as it is.

Last edited by Shawn McCalip; August 29th, 2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding 2 more cents...
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects