After Effects SLOW export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects SLOW export

I am at a client's place right now working on a basic corporate animation. the animation is about 3 minutes long, and merely requires a series of objects to appear and have a connectivity animation move between them along a motion path. Pretty simple stuff.

This animation is nested in another timeline which I simply zoom in and out of where it is needed. Think of it as a 2d camera cheat.

On my PC at home, something like this would export very quickly, but on my macbook its dragging. I have tried bouncing to flv, quicktime, uncompressed, etc. Now, animation seems to work better than h264 in quicktime, but I am now trying flv, which is a little bit faster.

This is last season's white macbook. Now, I know CPU and RAM are huge issues, but I have rendered similar stuff out of motion with motion blur and lighting and not had a problem (half hour to hour render time at 2minutes of footage). In After Effects, my render times have gone from six up to now 13 hours. Any thoughts on how I could improve this workflow? What might be slowing my machine down?
William Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know, but some things that can really slow down a render are:

Blur, such as motion or lens blur
Frame blending due to speed adjustment
Cameras

I wouldn't even bother using a laptop for those effects. Also rendering an h264 is slower due to compression. And you probably know that the ETA After Effects gives you is based on the frame it is currently rendering not the overall animation.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects