AE just degrades my picture quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Tourist

AE just degrades my picture quality?

Fairly new to AE CS3..shot some footage on an XL2 at 24p..was hoping to add just a basic gradient in After Effects, however the picture quality is completely degraded on the Final product. I initially edit in FCP then export (h264) to AE for my effects...Please help!

Is this normal to lose picture quality once exporting from Final Cut into After Effects?
Jay Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jay. I don't use FCP however I always export/import/export using uncompressed .avi and don't have any problems - apart from large file sizes of course.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Tourist

Do you capture directly to After effects?
Jay Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Major Player

For FCP users that's .mov instead of .avi, ;-) In general, however, h.264 is a compressed format for final delivery where file sizes need to be kept smaller. When using files WITHIN the post process, always use uncompressed or the least compressed, highest quality footage options you can. Use compressed options only AFTER the final render.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Day View Post
Fairly new to AE CS3..shot some footage on an XL2 at 24p..was hoping to add just a basic gradient in After Effects, however the picture quality is completely degraded on the Final product. I initially edit in FCP then export (h264) to AE for my effects...Please help!

Is this normal to lose picture quality once exporting from Final Cut into After Effects?
If you need to get a clip from Final Cut Pro to AE:
Export>Quicktime(not conversion) and choose "self contained" (otherwise the quicktime will reference your capture scratch, and if you were to move any media it could stop working). Don't check "recompress" and you'll get a full quality video. Only use "quicktime conversion" if you are encoding your video for the internet or something.

It is normal for gradients to look bad on video though. The tones come through in steps sometimes rather than a smooth gradation.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jay...

As others have said, don't export to H.264. In fact, don't ever do that. H.264 is strictly a delivery format and has no place in production unless you're doing news across the internet.

Get Automatic Duck. It'll make a copy of your FCP project that can then be opened in AE, using the original media. No format conversions.

An AE render should look absolutely stunning. If there are problems, then something is wrong.
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Major Player

I hope the problem has already been solved, but I'd like to point out one should always check the output quality. On the bottom of the composition window you can set quality settings: full, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 resolution. This is mainly a tool to get faster previews if the project is a bit 'heavy' on the processor.
But if you render with 'current settings' while the compostion setting is set at 1/2 resolution, you will get degrade stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects