DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Flying or lifting humans off the ground... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/490494-flying-lifting-humans-off-ground.html)

Kris Koster January 21st, 2011 01:20 PM

Flying or lifting humans off the ground...

This may not be an FX question, although some of it can be achieved using a combination of real footage intermixed with FX to sell the effect.

Essentially what I want to do is (night shot), a boy lifts off the ground, holds out his hand for another person and they both fly off. I'd like it to look real without looking cheesy, so I'm trying to decide the best way of doing this.

I know I can break up the shots, ie. camera on feet whilst someone lifts him up, etc. But has anyone ever seen this being done properly? I'm guessing I'll have to use harnesses and composite them out in post for it to really work... Then green screen with the flying.

Anyone seen an effect like this being done?

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 21st, 2011 10:26 PM

If you're not moving the camera the best way to do it is lift the character on a crane and then roto it out in post. Same amount of post work, but you'll save money and time in production.

Jim Andrada January 24th, 2011 01:35 AM

Anything that involves actually lifting people is dangerous and expensive. For example - what happened at the Spiderman musical in NY. Serious injuries and these guys are pros and have pros doing the rigging.

Arnie Schlissel January 24th, 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1610708)
Anything that involves actually lifting people is dangerous and expensive. For example - what happened at the Spiderman musical in NY. Serious injuries and these guys are pros and have pros doing the rigging.

And you can't argue that Spiderman cut corners, either. It's the most expensive stage play ever staged. They've hired the best riggers available & trained all of the people who've been injured according to union & industry standards.

David Barnett January 24th, 2011 09:34 AM

Myb green screen it. Could still look a little cheesy, but depending how good you are with the keying out & lighting it could work, especially since it'll be dark/night outside. Then, indoors somewhere, do the green screen. If you don't have one buy a sheet of wood paneling or something, and paint it green. Myb have the boy sit on a stool or bench & immitate being in the air, just buy a green bedsheet & drape it over the chair or stool so it keys out also. In after Effects or post, adjust the color curves & levels to get it to match the outdoors.

That'd be my guess at least.

Robert Turchick January 24th, 2011 09:59 AM

This is a job for greenscreen and after effects. I've been shooting gs and then compositing people into virtual sets for the last two weeks. While a bit labor intensive, the results are worth it. Dont expect one layer keys to work all the time either.
Thinking about your shot, the trickiest would be to show feet dangling as they hovered. Might be a bit of creative editing or camera angles. Since they don't necessarily have to be vertical, have them lay down on a few boxes on top of the GS and shoot from above.
Post the results!

Gregory Gesch February 1st, 2011 10:24 PM

Hi Kris. This might be of interest:
Look Ma, No Wires After Effects tutorial by Eran Stern