Waking up --- how to? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Waking up --- how to?

Hi all,

I just shot a project in which the first shot is our character waking up in the morning. The whole video is POV style so it would be nice if that first shot would start black and then proceed as if the characters eyelids were slowly opening. I've that type of effect many times in TV shows and movies but recreating it is entirely another matter.

In you opinion how could I proceed through AE in order to achieve this?

Thanks,

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Waking up --- how to?

Hi Phil. Above your video layer create a black solid and add Effects/Distort/CC Split or CC Split 2 (Split 2 allows you to keyframe both sides of the slit), then probably add some blur - use one with "Repeat Edge Pixels" such as Fast Blur.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Or masking and blurring...
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Trustee

I would use a mask and keyframe it, then feather the edges. Also make sure you blur the background, perhaps with more blur on the horizontal plane than the vertical.

Also add some camera shake either in post or during filming. During filming you could also start with the camera rotated so that the opening scene is sideways.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Trustee

I would use a mask and keyframe it, then feather the edges. Also make sure you blur the background, perhaps with more blur on the horizontal plane than the vertical.

Also add some camera shake either in post or during filming. During filming you could also start with the camera rotated so that the opening scene is sideways.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects