AE slow even with 16bg ram? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AE slow even with 16bg ram?

Hi all,

I just upgraded my pc to be i7 processor, 16gb ram, nvidia gtx580, windows 64bit.
I use Adobe cs4. I tried to make a slideshow...maybe 25 photos normal to large size...it lags like hell.
Any ideas? I thought it would be lightning, real-time preview?

My thoughts are that cs4 is not compatible with 64 bit? Or maybe its the graphics card? Do you know where my performance issue could be stemming from?

Much thanks,
Brian.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AE slow even with 16bg ram?

Possibly stupidly obvious: Have you gone into the options and checked it's using multicore processing? That helps.

AE is never meant to be real time, so it does everything the hard way. It sometimes takes a while of actual use to get everything into RAM, otherwise it'll avoid caching anything it doesn't need. How big are these pictures? Also how big is the composition and what is the finish res?
The real test of any speed would be if you did a RAM preview and see how quick (or not) that goes.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Trustee

I think you're right that CS4 isn't a 64 bit program. Not that it's a compatability issue, just can't take full advantage of your setup.

Second thought, as Murry mentioned, the multiprocessing setup is critical to get right. Not sure what the ideal is in CS4. I try to leave a couple of processors open for the system and leave 2 gig ram as well.

Third, make sure your photos are 72dpi and not huge pixel dimensions. Typically I batch process any photos to a small percentage (like 20%) larger than the 1920x1080 window. Generally enough to do the Ken Burns thing. Any more and you are going to bog the computer and won't really see a difference in quality.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Manning View Post
..maybe 25 photos normal to large size...it lags like hell.
Any ideas? I thought it would be lightning, real-time preview?
Can you specify what you mean by normal to large size?

Quote:
My thoughts are that cs4 is not compatible with 64 bit?
When AE loads, the first splash screen tells you how much memory it is accessing. Does it show 16GB or only 2-3GB? There is a fix around for AE to utlilize more RAM if it is a 32-bit program. You might want to try google for it.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It says 2% used of 4GB.

just went in and it was indeed the multiprocessors werent enabled, now it says that 14 gb are available
.thanks to you all.

cheers,
Brian.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects