Screen compositing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Screen compositing

Ok, I officially suck at this apparently. I had to shoot a super low budget (read: no budget) music video a couple weeks ago, and I finally got down to editing it yesterday. It required around 3-5 shots where we were compositing shots onto a TV screen, which I reluctantly agreed to figure out. My solution was to make a ghetto green screen out of construction paper and tape a penny to the center to make it trackable, and try to keep the shots relatively still. If anyone here has tips on how to make these shots not suck or is really good and willing to take a few minutes to improve them themselves I can happily dropbox the original files. Willing to paypal some money too, as I said it's out of pocket though :\

Here's the current state the video is in so you can see the shots in action.

Jack and Coke 1 4 - YouTube

Thanks!

Evan
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Screen compositing

Couple of things.

The image in the TV looks too good. See if you have a "bad tv" effect to give the video some interlace lines. If you make it look worse it will look better in the shot.

You need to apply a glow effect to give the edges of the key some life. That will give you some of the look of the light from the video emanating from the tv.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Screen compositing

I'm a little late, but it's not horrible. Next to the real thing you'd notice, but it's quite servicable as it is for the average audience.

I don't know what you used, but if you feather the edges of the mask a little bit it would be better. And a touch of glow as mentioned. Give the inserted footage a little bit of a bulge effect to go with the shape of the tube too.
Ideally you'd have a shot of the screen without the green on it from that position so you can overlay it back on and get back the reflections and form. That forgives a multitude of sins. So if you did that, great.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects