Consistent AE 7.0 import image degradation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Consistent AE 7.0 import image degradation

I recently purchased the premium adobe production suite and have come upon some trouble while importing footage into after effects. In the case of every single footage file I import, the image quality becomes slightly degraded. It doesn't seem to matter what codecs are used in the imported footage, since it is a consistent problem that happens with all of them. It's not a blindingly obvious issue, but it's obvious enough to get me a little worried. My theory is that there are some specific import settings that are set to automatically lower the quality. I've yet to find these mysterious settings.

If there might be some other reason you could think of, any help would be appreciated.
Alexander Cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Do mean import from another program, or when you capture directly from camera into AE 7.0?
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Any chance you could zip a small clip and AE project and post it somewhere for review?

The most common causes for image quality loss are
- Incorrect field order settings
- Incorrect frame rate
- Differences in pixel resolution and/or aspect ratio

These usually turn up when looking at a comp containing the clip in a layer that has different settings for these values than the source clip. One way to avoid this when creating a new comp is to use the browser window to drag the clip to the "New Comp" control at the bottom of the browser. This automatically creates a new comp that has exactly the same resolution, frame rate, field order, and length as the source clip.

If you've imported a video file into your project, you should be able to double-click the clip in the browser to see the appearance of the original file. A clip displayed in the viewer this way should have exactly the same quality as the same clip viewed in premiere.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4
New Boot

Ah yes. Problem solved.

It was, after all, the field order settings. I wasn't setting up new compositions by dragging the files into the new comp box, so that probably explains why the settings were messed up. Works fine now. Thank you so very much.
Alexander Cooney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects