Hand held shake = dolly shot with AE7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Hand held shake = dolly shot with AE7?

I paid the fee and got the AE7 tutorial and watched in amazement as this guy takes some really shakey footage and smooths it right out.

WONDERFUL!

I thought, This will make my hand-held / fig-rig shots look as smooth as a $5k dolly rig.

Right?

Or is there something I'm missing?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Don't forget you'll have to contend with your outside borders moving around. Also, I've noticed that if my shutter speed is slowish the footage will appear to lose focus because of the motion blur even if it's stabilized. Using a faster shutter can solve that though.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Depending on your shot, you could also have paralax issues to contend with.
In most situations, the 2D movement of a point in the distance moves more slowly through the frame than a point that is close to the camera.

Since the smoothing done in AE is a 2D effect, you can run into situations where the correction won't "look right" because, even if you smooth a close obect, the distance will still be shaky (or even get shaky-er!) ... or ... you smooth out based on a distant reference and something near the camera still looks shaky.

This effect can help in some situations, especially if you use a less-than-solid dolly/crane and just need to smooth it a bit, but I wouldn't expect it to be able to consistantly make a hand held (even fig-rig-hand held) shots look just like they would using a solid dolly system.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Major Player

What video is this? Who hosts? Is it Andrew Kramer? I must say I'm a huge fan of his.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects