Question about file size at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Question about file size

I capture the footage from my Gl2 in Vegas in supposedly uncompressed .avi then bring it into After Effects and do anything and render it and a 10 second clip goes from 50mb to like 450mb. I noticed after getting some shots that my lens had a spot on it that I didn't see at the time so I just wanted to mask out that part or use the clone tool. I still wanted to save as an uncompressed .avi as this needs to be viewable for everyone without having to worry about codecs. But I can't have the file size that huge. Any suggestions?
Rob Kraneveldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

check your render queue settings and make sure you export out to dv. i think you're currently exporting uncompressed or a low-compression format.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Major Player

An "Uncompressed" capture from a GL2 generally means "no additional compression beyond the native, in-camera, DV compression" where exporting "Uncompressed" form AE really means 4:4:4 uncompressed video data 24-32 bits per pixel per frame. It's a big difference.

Honestly, a little lens dirt sounds like something that Vegas could handle with it's own masking tools, but if you do want to use AE for this, consider exporting in the same format as your source clip. Probably NTSC DV.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Ok thanks guys, that makes sense. I'll give it a try.
Rob Kraneveldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects