Wacom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 11th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Wacom

Just got my Intuos 3 6x8 Wacom. Damn I love this thing. Beautiful for rotoscoping and everything else i do. My carples were about to die.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Trustee

The good thing about having a 6x8 tablet is that it doubles as a mouse mat, so you can save space on your desk.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

mac serial to usb adabter?

Anyone know if there is such a thing? Would like to use my Mac wacom tablet on my PC.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've had the Intuitos 2 6x8 for quite awhile and would be lost without it. Recently I've been putting it aside though when doing non graphics stuff however. With a 23" screen the mouse area seems a little too limited and I can work quicker with the regular Apple mouse.

John, not really sure what you're looking for. Do you have some sort of ancient serial tablet, or doesn't your PC have a USB port. Keyspan makes USB to serial adaptors: http://www.keyspan.com/products/ however I doubt they are going to accomplish what you want. AFAIK the Wacom tablets work with both Macs and PC's, so if your PC doesn't have a USB port then maybe it would be better to buy a card. OTOH, anything without a USB port must be getting a little old...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Boyd, I'll check out keyspan.

I have an old Mac serial Wacom tablet that I havn't used in ages. Would like to use it with my PC, though...

Hope Keyspan will be my solution.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Major Player

You can certainly purchase RS-232 and RS-422 to USB adapters. However, I have no idea what a "Mac Serial" connection is...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Major Player

The older (like years and years ago .. before USB) Macs had their own serial interface for keyboards, mice and other input devices .. the plug looked a bit like an S-Video connector. If this is what is being referred to ... I don't think there's a converter for it.
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Wrangler

You're probably right about that. This would be the serial adaptor:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/...e.2.specs.spml

But it's probably for a PC serial port. There used to be adaptors to go from Mac to PC ports, no idea if you could still find them. "Back in the day" I used to make my own adaptors, and even had a cool little breakout box where you could jury rig them for special purposes. :-)

But honestly, I can't believe it would be worth spending any money to adapt a graphics tablet that old. Plugging it in is one thing, getting it to work with modern software is another. If you just want a graphics table and don't want to spend a lot of money, check out the Wacom Graphire series. They're a great value: http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm I used the 4x5 Graphire for years until I got a big monitor, and it wouldn't let me mouse all the way across so I gave it to a friend who still uses it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Major Player

i may suck at drawing, but it is beautiful for rotoscoping and mask painting. something that consumes my life.
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Nick, I think you are referring to an "Apple Desktop Bus" port.

You can certainly still purchase ADB to USB adapters.

I would also presume that the latest Intuos3 drivers would support your device.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #11
Major Player

time to draw: too long!
I can't imagine the time to roto waking life or scanner darkly.

http://www.rileyharmon.com/temp/ME!.jpg
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #12
Trustee

Agree, the intuos 2 is a carpal tunner miles saver package. I alternate between that and the mouse, pending on how my wrist feels. I really like the combination of using both the 4d mouse for left hand button clicks and the pen in right for manipulation.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Congrats Riley! I got my first Wacom a few months back. They are a great little tool. I don't know what I would do without mine now that I'm so used to it.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Major Player

wee for wacom

www.rileyharmon.com/temp/me2.jpg
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects