Countdown effect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Countdown effect?

I am needing to put a countdown for a 30 min tv show. The display needs to be minutes/seconds counting down...could also be a clock..anyone know of a plugin that can do this?
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

i do alot of these things with Corporate Vox Pops... being "one minute with the CEO" "One Minute with GM" a lil hard to explain but i have a program which is a Digital Stopwatch.
Its Called XNote Stopwatch and it allows u to manipulate the timing time itself, as well as the colour scheme... this is good for compositing. U can count down or count up...

What i do is set up a chromakey colour layout.. usually green back with Red LED looking Digits.
Then i run the clock for as long as i need, and capture the screen with Camtasia. This means i can set up the resolution at any size i need and literally have a file that i can just throw in anywhere.
THEN in my NLE (Vegas) I run the chroma key filter, so all we see is the Red Digits.

The composite starts with the video footage as the base (this is the interview in my case) then i run an animated lower third to spice up the titles. Above that, usually in the corner somewhere i have my timer running.

Now another option is to run a Timecode filter, however these do not have the graphic impact of LED style text/number and the seconds dont count down/up the way this does..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not on my mac right now, but isn't there one included with final cut?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aston
I am needing to put a countdown for a 30 min tv show. The display needs to be minutes/seconds counting down...could also be a clock..anyone know of a plugin that can do this?
What programs are you working with?

There is a timecode filter in Final Cut (if that's what you're using) that could be configured for minutes:seconds.
Also not at my Mac at the moment, so I'm not sure if it can be configured to run backwards, but that's easily addressed by using time re-mapping.

I'm sure there are folks here that will be happy to share specific instructions, but we really need to know what apps your using to provide detailed help.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am using Avid (PC) I am currently trying Peter's suggestion and so far so good. I am rendering the "StopWatch Countdown" now to avi. I'll let you guys know what the results are. Thanks for the help..BIGTIME!
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Peter...worked perfectly! Thanks again!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

good to hear :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects