Any Boris Users here? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Boris Users here?

Hiya, I'm and Avid and Boris Red (and soon Blue) user. I just wondered if anyone else here uses these tools as well as it would be great to chat about some of the fab things can can be achieved with this fantastic effects/compositing package.

Ben
Ben Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Major Player

I use Boris with a love/hate relationship.

Many of the presets and a few features simply do not work with my machine and editing package.

Regardless of these problems I still use it.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Richard, what's your system?

I'm cutting on Avid Xpress Pro HD on a PC and the only time Boris made me want to put my foot through the monitor has been when one of my sticks of RAM died, leaving me with a grand total of 1Gb.

At that point it would tend to crash quite often - doubly annoying if I'd opened Boris Red from with an unsaved Avid timeline! Now it's all groovy.

Ben
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Major Player

i used Boris(red, fx, continuum) tools on AE in their early days. Now inspired from this thread had a look on their site and must say they've done very big jump further.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For some reason the examples on their site don't really do the software justice. I find it such an uncluttered and streamlined interface compared to AE that I try to use it exclusively.

I've even starting using my fave After Effects plugins within Boris Red (Video Gogh, Twixtor, Knoll Light Factory, Boris CC etc) so if you're an Avid editor it's a great way to use use AE plugins without having to change app and import footage etc.

Ben
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I am using Boris FX8 with Vegas 6d on a AMD 4800 x2 with 2 gigs of ram with a Nvidia 7900GT 256.

For some reason, when I render and preview, the 2nd processor is not used, even when I select multiprocessing in the Boris Menu. In fact, it is slower when I select multiprocessing.

With Vegas I can't see the video if I select Boris filter from the vegas timeline. It only brings in a static frame. There are workarounds, but it is annoying.

Also, many of the presets do nothing. I don't know about RED but I imagine it has better support than FX.

Nonetheless, I practically use it every day and I am always digging deeper because Boris FX8 is a powerful tool.

I have had other problems with Boris on my other machine that no one could help me with. They are fixed now that I use the AMD 4800.

I sure wish I could make the 2nd processor accessible.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ah... I've a) Never used Boris FX, only Red (which is FX plus Graffiti?), CC and Final Effects and b) Never used Vegas. I was all looking forward to offering some cunning advice then. Sorry mate...

I'm running an ancient overclocked single Athlon 64 3000 with a Geforce 7800GT 256mg and with only 1Gb Ram at the mo as my other stick died :-(

That said, aside from some snail's-pace slow rendering when I've done loads of layering of effects, it seems to work like a charm.

Ben
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Adobe AE 6.5 or Boris Red 4 (Vegas user here)

Folks, can someone please explain me what Boris Red 4 has got that AE doesnt or viseversa. I use Red in Vegas 6, mostly for Titles and i tend to like it, way way better than Vegas native titling. But on the compositing front which one has got a functional advantage? Intuitivelly i prefer Boris's UI, although it does look a little archaic but i think its control window is a gem. Anyway can any1 answer my above questions? thanks
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects