Faster rendering in After affects 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 18th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Faster rendering in After affects 7

When i render my clips that ive just made. it says that its using 60% or 1022 ram. is it possibe to speed it up as i render overnight and it just After affects that i have open and im running it on a PC if that makes any difference. thanks.
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to give us the specs on your PC, for a starting point.

Mike
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

PC spec

Dell dimension 5150 2.8 p4 1gb ram. need anymore?
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The computer doesn't sound that bad, but what processer? Don't understand how you can be using 60% of your RAM and that is 1024 on a 1gb machine? I'm not all that bright though. What are you rendering exactly?

Mike

P.S.: Always laugh when I see 5150, as it is the California Health and Safety Code number for mentally unstable and a danger to themselves or others. :) Great name for a PC!

Mike
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah my Xp is kinda tweaked where i have my mouse shadow disabled and little things like that. it just helps speed it up. my processor is a intel pentium 4, 2.8ghz. yet to be overclocked if i can OC a p4? not to sure though, not yet anyway.

im rendering files that have many PSD's in them, well they are all basically PSD's and they are massive. just for the quality aspect. its just i would like it to render faster as time is of the essence and i feel like im losing time.

and i like the fact that 5150 means what it does, pretty much sums me up at the moment. fantastic :-)
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
New Boot

If you really wanna speed up your work flow check out GridIron's Nucleo Pro.

http://www.gridironsoftware.com/NucleoPro/
Andrew Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

AE7 benefits wholeheartedly with an NVidia kick ass gfx card...
for agp, i found a 6800GS (512mb video ram 256bit) with untapped pipelines works a treat

also runs perfect (near realtime) on my laptops with an nvidia 7300
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting...

Andrew, im really impressed with that bit of software. who knows for my Next computer. it could be a must. shame im not running dual processor's yt. but hopefully in the next year i will be. even sooner i hope.

and Peter i like the sound of the graphics card. im using a ATI x700 256mb pci-e card. it runs good but i am looking to upgrade and i think that will come when i get a new system.

so does a a better graphics card help and how?
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

well, the Nvidia cards have an hardware video decoder/encoder/VPU built into them, which AE and PRemPro2 tap into using the plugin architecture (as the adobe apps have always had this architecture) OpenGL aside, this feature is what makes PremPro2 supersceded most other "realtime" native HDV NLE's WIthout it, PremPro would jsut be PremPro with no performance boost.

More details on the spec of the cards are available here..
http://www.xpertvision.com.tw/en/pro...0GS-Super.html
thats my specific card and this was realtively cheap when considering teh perofmarnce and time saving it gives me

At this time, only Nvidia cards (6600 and above) are supported for this HW tap feature. I bought the 6800gs for cost vs performance. basically it cost me 275AUD, its 512mb ram, 256bit and with the unlocked pipelines, it gives me close to the performance of a 6800GT which is about 3 times the cost of this 6800GS. Even though PremPro is not myu choice of NLE, when i take my machines out to clients to work, its what i use simply becuase of performance

The PCIe version doesnt allow the unlocking of the pipeline due to its hardwired architecture, however the new 7xxx series cards are also pretty well grunted out. On my laptop i run a "lowly" 7300 with 128mb onboard + 128 shared memory... basically giving me 256mb on a 128bit chipset. Works a treat, but the performance increase to 256bit is VERY noticable especially with realtime previewing

see theres no point in having the "biggest" ram available on a gfx card if its going to bottleneck along the way
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #10
Major Player

First the obvious one: hit Caps lock during a render.

Secondly on very long or big (memory wise) renders you could also go into the 'secret' menu and tell AE to purge every 'XX' Frames during make movie. I usually set this 'XX' on something like 100 frames, this will help in those situations where AE runs out of system memory and the rendering grinds to a slow crawl. (but on small renders this will infact slow you down as AE is spending time dumping frames it does not need to)

Hope this helps a little.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

"First the obvious one: hit Caps lock during a render."

Why??

Secondly on very long or big (memory wise) renders you could also go into the 'secret' menu and tell AE to purge every 'XX' Frames during make movie. I usually set this 'XX' on something like 100 frames, this will help in those situations where AE runs out of system memory and the rendering grinds to a slow crawl. (but on small renders this will infact slow you down as AE is spending time dumping frames it does not need to)

Hope this helps a little

((INteresting..
Ive only got like 1gb ram, so 1500mb for my pagefile on my system drive.. i dont have any issues with memory.. what version are u using?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
"First the obvious one: hit Caps lock during a render."

Why??

This stops AE rendering each frame to the screen (so you can monitor it's progress) - even if the composition you are rendering is hidden AE will still be drawing each frame.

With caps lock on - AE will simply render the file without consistently updating the composition window.

This can save a few seconds on a short render on up to minutes on a longer piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson

Hope this helps a little

((INteresting..
Ive only got like 1gb ram, so 1500mb for my pagefile on my system drive.. i dont have any issues with memory.. what version are u using?
On very big renders this can become an issue, although the issue seems to be less of a problem on AE7, doing as above can help with other rendering problems where memory is a factor.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks guys my rendering time has speeded up with those few tips. and i also think investing in a new dual core system would help to. but thats a little way off.
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #14
Trustee

Does that CAPS LOCK trick work on PPRO2.0?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects