Problem with mixing 2d and 3d in AE7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Problem with mixing 2d and 3d in AE7

Hi all,

I'm having a small problem with after effects 7.0, basically what I'm trying to do is to slide pictures over each other. Only, on one point of time picture A should be over picture B, and on the next point picture B should be over picture A (but then with about 20 pictures). Since layer order is not keyframeable, I tried to do it with 3d-layers. So I created a camera with almost infinite focal length, so that when I change the Z-position of layers they don't shift optically in the x and y direction. The problem I'm having now, is that when I use this '3d'-composition in another (2d)-comp, all the seperate layers in the 3d-comp shift, so I am assuming that it uses another camera to render the 3d-comp within the 2d comp than I am using within the 3d-comp, if that makes sense. Anyone an idea how to solve this? Also, if anyone knows another solution to changing layer order over time, that would also be great...

Thanks!

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try pressing the little asterisk toggle by the precomped layer, if no improvement, post again and we'll see what can be done.

Unfortunately, layer order can't be keyframed, and the second comp doesn't use another camera to view what you have done.
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

:)

Thanks Conor!

That solved the problem! I almost reached the stage where I wanted to copy every layer ten times to have an instance of every picture over all the others, and then keyframing opacity to make them appear and disappear (nice, 200 layers in a comp). Thank you for saving me that work...

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects