Particle Illusion v3.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Particle Illusion v3.0

Hi Guys,

Anyone of you guys uses ParticleIllusion? If you do please tell me how one imports DV AVI footage into the program? As far as I know it dosen't support
DV AVI? So please help me with this issue. Do I have to convert it to a different format? Which format would you recommend?

Thanks
Matthew
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Major Player

According to the creator, Alan Lorence, DV support is being worked on, but for the moment you can use DivX. Conversion instructions are listed in the first sticky post at the top of the particle Illusion message boards, entitled "AVI Request Format Error".
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks alot Robert!!
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I use PI 3 from time to time.

Generally, I convert vfx shots into an image sequence (TIFFs or TGAs) for import into just about any non video fx package I'm using (CGI, Matchmoving, motion capture, Particle Illusion, etc.) This eliminates any frame count ambiguity since many of these apps do not have internal support for drop-frame framerates.

You might say that's a lot of drive space for clips, but it's really very small for DV. The smaller, individual files per frame are usually easier for visual effects apps (even compositing tools like AE or Shake) to digest. I'm used to dealing with HD (about 6Meg per frame) or Cineon (as big as 48Meg per frame), so DV res image files are not a big hurdle.
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

PI3 is a brilliant tool, and it supports many other codecs bar DV.. u can always go uncompressed, but u can even use otehr codecs like huffyYUV and the like..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects