Different Effects in After Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Different Effects in After Effects

Hi All,

I have a 10 minute clip that I want to use three different effects in it.
How can I do that in after effects 7? I want it to have a smooth flow from one effect to the other.

Thanks In advance
Matthew
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Which effects?
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Conor,

I haven't decided as which effects I am going to use yet I just wanted to know how I can combine several effects into one clip?

Do I have to split them or is there an easier way of doing that?

Thanks
Matthew
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just use keyframes to invoke the effects to whatever degree (0-100%) you desire.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Like Pete says, that might do the job you want. I'd be cautious about recommending a particular method without knowing which effects you're applying, and how you want to transition from one effect to another.

You're options are:
1. Keyframing an effect application (0 - 100%) - this may not work for all effects, it may yield results that you do not want, especially if you have overlapping transitions

2. Splitting the layer - three iterations of the same layer, different effect applied to each. You can perhaps control the transitions more.

3. Precomposing those layers, this may provide more control.

I think it would be best to approach this the other way around - figure out what you want it to look like, and then look at the technique. You seem to be going at it backwards. You may find that the look you want requires many more effects to be applied, it may need compositing, it may require the use of blending modes or alpha channel manipulation. It may only require one effect. Without knowing the final goal, I can't really tell you what the right approach might be.
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects