Sony GV-HD700 HDV video Walkman gets US release date and price at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony GV-HD700 HDV video Walkman gets US release date and price

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/sony...ros-282647.php

Now you don't have to shelve the substantial amount for a HVR M series VTR for a decent (although it won't make Custom TCs) HDV machine.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Major Player

awesome...I want 7 lol.

- Kyle
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Great a monitor and a back up all in one. Plus a capture deck.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #4
Major Player

So we can just mount this baby up on the camera and use it for focusing HD? If so this is very interesting - a hell of a lot cheaper than a Marshall too (assuming the lcd is comparable)
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Big question.

Will it play back 24p or 24f 1080i from other sources like the Canon XH series, or is it primarily only possible for proper playback for Z1U style cameras?

I forget if Canon encodes 24f only, or it adds extra frames in.
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Anyone seen the original press release? I cannot find the press release at Sony-USA web-site.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Wrangler

Here's the info directly from Sony:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/image_li...asset_id=30998

http://news.sel.sony.com/documents/c...HD700Specs.pdf

Interestingly, it comes from Sony's consumer division instead of pro. The published spec of 1152k pixel screen resolution would imply 800x480 (in three colors) which is comparable to the other 7" LCD's on the market. That's pretty cool, like getting a free deck and firewire along with your external LCD screen. The multiple screen profiles are also interesting.

FYI, we prefer that you don't publish links to news stories on other sites. Try to use actual links from the manufacturers; Google easily found the two links above.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Trustee

And yet another HD deck with no HD component or HDMI inputs.

I think is a very important feature that is missing from the HD world unless you want to jump up to a $10,000.00 deck.

With a HDMI input you could edit HDV in realtime in your NLE and output live via HDMI right into the deck to record to a HD tape. No rendering needed.

I realize not everybody would want to go back to HDV tape but I'm sure some would and even more would do it if they had the ability to do so for a quick HD backup.

I can understand the lack of component inputs since people could use the deck to record HD broadcasts but why not HDMI?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
With a HDMI input you could edit HDV in realtime in your NLE and output live via HDMI right into the deck to record to a HD tape. No rendering needed.
But isn't part of the problem with HDV that you have to render an edited timeline before you can send it back out in HDV format? How would a deck with an HDMI input change that?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
But isn't part of the problem with HDV that you have to render an edited timeline before you can send it back out in HDV format? How would a deck with an HDMI input change that?
By using the same encoder chip that is in cheap HDV cameras to encode HDV on the fly. In cameras the encoder takes the raw feed from the DSP and encodes a HDV stream in realtime.

In most NLE's the power is already there for RT HD editing. Add a cheap card and you can output that RT performance out of a component, SDI or HDMI port.

It is the same concept as a DV deck being able to record an analog feed onto a DV tape. In this case the deck converts the analog video into DV video on the fly. We should also have HDV decks that do this which would make backing up masters very easy and fast. This would also give a quick solution for those who need to quickly edit and output a project to give to a client right away.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

B&H is accepting orders. Also, Sony web-site shows September 14 for availability date.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...O_WALKMAN.html

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Major Player

just got my new toy a GV-HD700. $ 1078 plu $ 78 s+h.

sweet.....now i am ready for the winter sport season. takes the l and m series batt. so i can use the batts from an old broken hi8 camcorder.

great feature is the zoom in, up to 5 times.
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
So we can just mount this baby up on the camera and use it for focusing HD? If so this is very interesting - a hell of a lot cheaper than a Marshall too (assuming the lcd is comparable)
How are you going to mount this deck to your camera? Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it was designed with that in mind. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #14
Major Player

like ethan said, it's not designed to mount, also the weight is 3 pounds. does your accessorie shoe/ tripod/ tripod head.. supports that, plus mounting hardware?
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lucas View Post
Will it play back 24p or 24f 1080i from other sources like the Canon XH series, or is it primarily only possible for proper playback for Z1U style cameras?

I forget if Canon encodes 24f only, or it adds extra frames in.
Not sure about 24f, but since 24p is packaged in a 60i stream, no problem. Also, my friend's FX1u (US) can playback 50i Z1u footage.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News