DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New Affordable HD DVD format poised for release (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/104258-new-affordable-hd-dvd-format-poised-release.html)

Matt Vanecek December 31st, 2007 05:21 PM

My lovely bride wandered into my office as I was reading this thread and asked what I was up to. I pointed to the thread and one of the posted articles about VMD. Her exact words: "Not ANOTHER One! We've already got TWO! We're already repeating the Betamax war! We don't need ANOTHER format!" Then she huffed and stomped out of my office.

And she only knows enough technology to synch her iPod and install the occasional video game....

ciao,
Matt

Mike Teutsch December 31st, 2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek (Post 800598)
And she only knows enough technology to synch her iPod and install the occasional video game...

Very funny! But sadly she is still technically ahead of me!

Mike

Jim Boda January 7th, 2008 09:23 AM

Well, to further update the HD VMD format... It's not dead yet.

Still haven't read a full review of the product.

But, actual 1080p movie content is now available for purchase in the new HD VMD format.

http://nmestore.com/index.php?osCsid...54844e&cPath=2

Some of the movies are not available till February 7th. Not exactly a plethera of choices...but it's a start.

Cost per movie: $17.49. I'm not sure how that compares to the other two HD formats.

They will be showing off the replication line on the 22nd of January. I'm not sure what that means in relation to the industry.

http://www.nmeinc.com/download/nme-v...ction-line.zip (PDF zip file of replication line)

Phil Hoppes January 8th, 2008 02:00 PM

Orginal blank DVD-R's were $50 when they first came out. They are sub $1 now. Paramount just dumped HD DVD. There is no reason why Blu-Ray DVD media prices will not follow the same curve once production quanties ramp up, at least now all the stupid fighting over formats will cease and we can all gain the benefits of a single, high volume format.

Kevin Shaw January 8th, 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Boda (Post 804046)
Cost per movie: $17.49. I'm not sure how that compares to the other two HD formats.

Blu-ray and HD DVDs are selling on Amazon.com for $15.95 and up, with most being just under $20. For a competing HD format with unlikely long-term potential, saving $2.50 per movie doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Bill Koehler January 8th, 2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Boda (Post 804046)
Well, to further update the HD VMD format... It's not dead yet.

Yes it is. It just doesn't know it yet.

Phil Hoppes January 8th, 2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 804953)
Yes it is. It just doesn't know it yet.

".... He's dead Jim"

John C. Chu January 8th, 2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 804938)
Blu-ray and HD DVDs are selling on Amazon.com for $15.95 and up, with most being just under $20. For a competing HD format with unlikely long-term potential, saving $2.50 per movie doesn't sound like a very good deal.

I agree with you there-- if those movies were available in the US on Blu-Ray/HD DVD.

If this format took off in Asia, and had many foreign films not available in the US, it would be a decent investment of $199 for the player.

I already see a couple films on this rogue HD format not available anywhere else in HD at the moment. Luc Besson's "Angel-A" for example and "Pulp Fiction".

Interesting stuff.

Kevin Shaw January 8th, 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Chu (Post 805102)
If this format took off in Asia, and had many foreign films not available in the US, it would be a decent investment of $199 for the player.

Perhaps, but China has their own HD format for which they'll presumably be flooding the market with cheap players, leaving little room for other options in Asia. As far as movies not available on Blu-ray or HD-DVD are concerned, I'd sooner buy a widescreen SD copy I'll know I can play anywhere. Sorry to be a wet blanket about this, but I don't see much hope for the VMD format.

Jim Boda January 9th, 2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Hoppes (Post 804965)
".... He's dead Jim"

Still kickin'...

Today NME Signs Exclusive Worldwide Deal for Classic and Award-Winning Film and TV Titles

For the First Time on HD, Now Available on NME's HD Bundle Box, Feature Length Movies, including Rudyard Kipling's 'The Jungle Book,' 'Sudden Death,' 'Instant Love,' 'Wilma' and Many More.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...09012008-1.htm

...This deal represents a deeper partnership that will expand to include SFM's library releasing through NME's HD VMD format throughout 2008 - solidifying NME's position as a low-cost HD alternative.

...Other movie titles being considered for release by SFM through NME's HD VMD Bundle Box include: Academy Award-Winning "The Hellstrom Chronicle," "Murph the Surph," Monkees of Bandapur" and "Get Rollin.'" The two companies plan to follow-up these releases with a HD VMD Bundle Box of classic television shows constituting of "Real McCoys," "Make Room for Daddy," "Adventures of Jim Bowie," and many others.

Dave Blackhurst January 9th, 2008 09:24 PM

hmmm... $200+ for a player and mostly stuff I can pick up for around $5 on DVD... not seeing the attraction. Not to mention what quality of original footage are we dealing with here - HD is going to look like poop if the original content is old stock not digitally remastered if I had to guess...

Even with major release support HD-DVD looks like a goner, I wouldn't put much stock in a latecomer to the party that I'd imagine most people have never even heard of, with titles many people haven't heard of either.

BD should reach critical mass if the "war" is over, and people start committing - prices will drop, and squeezing out a bit player by dropping BD players by $100 would be nothing - it'll happen naturally if competition steps up on a single format to deliver compatible players.

Bill Koehler January 9th, 2008 10:04 PM

Well, at least now we know what kind of life-support this format is on.

To me it is funny having read any number of posts, not all here, about how the release of this or that movie on format Blu-ray or HD-DVD was going to put it over the top and crush the opposition. And it didn't happen. People kept right on enjoying regular old DVD.

Funny thing about DVD. It sets a reasonably high level of performance for anything else to exceed. I haven't yet played a DVD where I thought Boy, the quality just stinks. Instead it is generally along the lines of what an improvement over tape, VHS or Beta (my SL-HF750 still works) this is.

And new movies keep getting released and if you were either to cheap to see it in the theater, or really, really liked it, you can buy it on DVD ~six months after release or it stops playing in theaters. And if it really bombed, even sooner as the producer is now desperate to recoup his investment.

I went to the SFM website and went to their index page for what their offerings are. Granted it's just a snapshot, but hey, this is where they are putting their best foot forward.

http://www.sfment.com/dev/programs/grid/

Am I missing something folks, or is there almost nothing less than 30 years old here? Sure there is a TON of good stuff from the Dark Ages (pre-computer age), but do you think that's really going to pull in the under 30 crowd whose electronics buying habits tend to drive this market?

Call me Seriously Unconvinced that this stands a chance without current movie offerings. Or Damn Ignorant. I can take it.

Meanwhile, BluRay & HD-DVD have been fighting it out via not just the Internet, which is where you have to go for HD-VMD at present, but in the Big Box stores from coast to shining coast. I am willing to bet that ALL the Big Boxes are sick and tired of the fight as it slows the emergence of what will be THE STANDARD. And once they have that, they can get on to moving massive numbers of movie titles, players, and burners. And until then nobodys making much money because the volumes aren't big enough.

My opinion. Consider what you paid for it.

Dave Blackhurst January 9th, 2008 11:30 PM

priceless...

it may not be dead, but I think we've got the obituary written...

Jim Boda January 10th, 2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 805921)
hmmm... $200+ for a player ...

What do mean $200+ ...? It's listed as $198.65 w/ free ground shipping.

Some early purchase reviews are starting to come in...looks like they are out of stock till the 15th.

http://www.pcrush.com/prodspec.asp?i...28462&bsrc=sli

They are even throwing in two free movies...

All orders for HD VMD players in January will come with two complementary titles, "Mother Ghost" starring James Franco and cult hit "Cutting Room."

http://www.nmeinc.com/press_release.aspx

Only mostly dead.

Allen Plowman January 10th, 2008 04:48 PM

If I had a warehouse full of HD players right now, I would be having a big sale too.