Hollywood strike immediately affects shows - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Some animation writers are, but not all of them. (I think Simpsons, Family Guy and such ARE.)

Videogame 'writers' are generally not part of the guild. There is some talk of unionizing the gaming industry... but that's another thread.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #32
Major Player

There is a pretty good wikipedia article about the strike. It's got a list of all the shows effected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Wr..._on_television

And just out of curiosity... Does any one think that this will create a small window of opportunity for Indy productions? I'm wondering if studios and networks will start scooping up some non-union/low budget films to make up for the lull in production.
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

I thought about that, too. I don't know; there may be a bigger shot for projects doing well on the web (never thought I'd say that) and/or in fests to get picked up.

Heath
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #34
Major Player

That would be ethically difficult for an Indy production to get picked up during the strike. To know, and everyone else know, that you made it while others were striking would be a shakey way to enter the show. And yet it might be your only chance. I hope I would say no but I'm glad I don't have the temptation.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #35
MPS Digital Studios

It's a slippery slope, that's for sure. Older projects, sure.

I'm not sure how I'll proceed with two projects right now, one with a script that's 90% there, the other with a script that needs a lot of work. None of this is union, but we'd like to have one or two SAG actors onboard. But if SAG strikes next July, that will throw a wrench in things.

Besides, if you're making $20,000 movies, maybe up to $100,000, and if it's non-union, I can't imagine it would be even a small blip on the radar. But, like I said, it's a slippery slope; we want to get into Hollywood desperately (at least the major filmmaking and TV production part of it, if not moving to L.A.), yet it's hard to get in.

Heath
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
And to get a bit off-topic, if we are talking about studios and internet and artists... look at Radiohead's new cd. Of course it takes a lot more money to produce a show or a movie then making a cd, but Radiohead's move (I know they weren't the first to do such thing, but such a well known group doing it on such a large schale is pretty new) pretty much eliminates the need for the record labels.
As a customer you can pay 5 dollar for the new Radiohead cd, you have payed less then you did before, and Radiohead probably received more, then they did before...
It might eliminate the need for record labels for bands that are already so popular and profitable that they can be self-sustaining, if you will. But for the vast majority of other, lessor known bands that don't have global name recognition and don't have the funds to spend millions for marketing then I don't think the ball game changes too much in the foreseeable future.

Even when you can set your own price, the most popular is apparently $0.00.

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1883

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #37
MPS Digital Studios

It's like TV then, free TV: everything is paid by ads aired. Speaking of Internet, check this out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007...usiness.google

Heath
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery View Post
It might eliminate the need for record labels for bands that are already so popular and profitable that they can be self-sustaining, if you will. But for the vast majority of other, lessor known bands that don't have global name recognition and don't have the funds to spend millions for marketing then I don't think the ball game changes too much in the foreseeable future.

Even when you can set your own price, the most popular is apparently $0.00.

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1883

-A
I was dumbfounded by the commentators who said that having 40% of the downloaders pay was a good sign. That seems pretty low to me. It's depressing to think that 60% of the people downloading are scumbags who feel they are entitled to free music.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #39
MPS Digital Studios

Dave,

To depress you further, they say the amount of people who downloaded it from P2P sites, illegally, rivaled that of those who went to www.inrainbows.com.

Okay, back on topic: the agents may be bringing everyone back to the table. It's a "glimmer of hope."

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...back-in-touch/

heath
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #40
New Boot

Another video

I found this video extremely interesting viewing. Remember, the AMPTP is claiming there is no money to be had yet in digital entertainment. To US that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw
Harry Hannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #41
Wrangler

Writers Strike Could Devastate Small Businesses

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz...112_509882.htm

Quote:
The average person doesn't realize how many small businesses support these entertainment productions. A mid-budget film costs about $17 million to produce, generates $1.2 million in state and local taxes, and employs more than 300 contractors and subcontractors to support it. A big-budget film costs an average of $70 million and employs an estimated 928 direct and indirect contractors. The bulk of those are independent, small contractors doing lighting, wardrobe, catering, and many other niche jobs.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #42
MPS Digital Studios

This is what I'm worried about, Boyd. Thanks for posting that.

Heath
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #43
Major Player

The strike is going to be disruptive, and is going to cause a lot of people to lose a lot of money, but I have to support their call for fairer residuals.

Writing is the backbone of film/tv content creation, that has to be worth something.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #44
MPS Digital Studios

I'm sensing a backlash in the general community, similar to that of how fans felt when sports stars went on strike over the years, most recently with hockey. If actors go on strike, that may cripple EVERYONE, because of the reaction.

Heath
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #45
Regular Crew

The actors and writers are seeking essentially the same thing in their contracts (there are some creative rights that the WGA is interested in that don't apply to SAG or the DGA), so if we get to the end of the SAG contract without a deal, it would also mean that the writers hadn't come to a deal.

I certainly don't want the WGA strike to go on that long (eight months or so).
Ryan Paige is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News