Reports of Blu-Ray's expensive licensing fees? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #61
Major Player

Sony Strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I would trust that Sony has a strategy.
I asked Sony customer service about playing BD-R discs. Both the telephone response and the e-mail response were the same:

The Sony High Definition camcorders use a the AVCHD format for the videos. The disc recorded with these videos can be played on this Sony Blu-ray player.

I also note that the HDV cameras are not getting much attention from Sony. Is this perhaps their strategy for the home HD enthusiast -- the only major group not covered by the move to Blu-Ray -- that they should only use the AVCHD format discs?

It leaves the HD indie and HD event videographer in the lurch, but they (we) are not a large market just now.

Alan

Last edited by Alan Emery; March 28th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
Interesting article about BD replication. I hope Universal and Paramount can find room in there soon, lots of good movies/shows I'd like to see from them :)

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=12404
Very interesting. It certainly points out the cost problem w/ the replication line.

A new replication line will cost between 1.5 million to 2.7 million...and the industry needs 80 more replication lines to meet demand. 250 million of investment needs to be spent just to meet capacity. Those type of costs always get sent back to the consumer.

Sony or any HD company has yet to earn any money w/ there HD format. With Sony just having real losses last year of 1.2 billion dollars in their gaming division...The hope of lower costs getting to the consumers seems to be years away.

It will be years before the format actually becomes a profitable business model. Hence, the licensing fees will stay as high as possible.

The authoring software investment was originally a huge chunk of money. The software was in the range of 75 to 250 thousand. It's gradually coming down to a more pedestrian 50 grand.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boda View Post
Very interesting. It certainly points out the cost problem w/ the replication line.

A new replication line will cost between 1.5 million to 2.7 million...and the industry needs 80 more replication lines to meet demand. 250 million of investment needs to be spent just to meet capacity. Those type of costs always get sent back to the consumer.
Interestingly, Warner raised their new release BD prices from MSRP $35 to $36 last year. They're also starting to bundle small books with several catalog releases and pumping those up from their typical $29 to $35. I also noticed that Disney's June release for Signs has jumped from their normal catalog price of $30 to $35. And Sony's 2 disc special editions MSRP for a whopping $44. I've seen folks argue that its just a buck or five or six here and there, but I do wish prices were going down instead of up. I suspect that subsidy deals may be ending or being reduced and the studios do appear to be passing the added expense on.
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #64
Major Player

More from Sony.

I spoke to a very knowledgeable person at Sony. He remarked that with firmware version 2.0, the new BD players from Sony will all play the BD-R/RE discs with either BDAV or BDMV formats. They currently do not have a player like this on the market yet but expect to have one available by late summer.

In the meantime, he suggested that Playstation will play most anything.

He acknowledged that the situation has not stabilized yet but that it should work itself out soon.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News