Final Cut Server at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Final Cut Server

Apple finally released Final Cut Server:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutserver/
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Trustee

What does it do? It kinda seems like Adobe bridge to me.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think it's a program that manages all your media files, via metadata, previews, etcetera. For networks or small production houses, where they work with many different people at one project, this can be very handy.

Everyone can search for media files from their computer, seeing proxies, and downloading to their own Mac.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Trustee

I dont know about over a network thats pretty much what bridge does.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Apparently this is designed to compete with Avid's Unity/Interplay system to allow multiple workstations to all work off the same project files, etc. This will help it compete in bigger post production facilities.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

It does media asset management from a server. The website has a nice movie overview.

The amazing thing is that you get 10 seats for $999.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gribble View Post
Apparently this is designed to compete with Avid's Unity/Interplay system to allow multiple workstations to all work off the same project files, etc. This will help it compete in bigger post production facilities.
You can't have two editors in FCP working out of the same project file like you can on Avid, but, yes, basically Final Cut Server (bit of a misnomer if you ask me) is geared toward multi-seat post facilities working on multiple projects. Taking asset management into an application and out of Finder is going to be sweet.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery View Post
You can't have two editors in FCP working out of the same project file like you can on Avid, but, yes, basically Final Cut Server (bit of a misnomer if you ask me) is geared toward multi-seat post facilities working on multiple projects. Taking asset management into an application and out of Finder is going to be sweet.

-A
With the avid unity you can't really do it either. At the office I am at I can open a bin that another user has open but I can not save anything I do. You end of having to make separate bins for each user.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
With the avid unity you can't really do it either. At the office I am at I can open a bin that another user has open but I can not save anything I do. You end of having to make separate bins for each user.
Yes, once someone opens an Avid bin in a multiuser environment the bin becomes "locked" so no one else can modify it, but that doesn't restrict multiple users from working out of the same Avid project. Each editor can have a "work bin" for their cuts and everyone can still pull assets out of the "community" bins. Also, being able to modify an Avid project via Finder/Windows Explorer is very handy as well. FCP is my preferred editor, but it's not nearly as elegant a solution right now as Avid it was it comes to multiple editors in a shared storage environment.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Had a presentation on CatDV latest build yesterday, simply put its everything Final Cut should do and much more.

www.squarebox.co.uk
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News