News posts from 2003 Q4 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 24th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #76
Major Player

The AP has a report out somewhere today saying it will be two generations before digital will displace film.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #77
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, I too read that Reuters story on Yahoo! news. I suspect that the ongoing popular press chatter on the subject will, to a great degree, become a self-fulfilling prophecy by channeling the public's expectations. Here in Chicago the transformation is already beginning to take place at a few of the larger downtown theaters. People who have seen features on one of our digital screens have begun to rumor about how much better the image is (at least to their eyes) and thus the tsunami begins.

It will not be next year, but it certainly also not be "generations". And film projection houses will remain for the foreseeable future, even after Hollywood stops producing for that medium.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #78
Major Player

I think, and this is purely my view, is that digital will surpass film a lot faster than everyone expexts. Film has had over 100 years to mature, and in that sense digital is still a baby, but its growing up very fast indeed, think about it, look at how much computers have developed (only around for around 20 years!) i still remember playing with C64 and Amstrad 128K just as if it was yesterday and now look we have 128BIT consoles and AMD 64 BIT computers. In fact the technology is here already but its more political and ecomonics at the moment that is slowing the momentum of the digital wave. Not long now give it another 5~10 years then people will be saying "F..ILM...huh? what was that all about?"

I mean think about when was the last time you used a film based still camera after owning a digital still camera? :-)

Anyway just my View..
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #79
Trustee

I didn;t know The Last Samurai was digital! HOLY SMOKES!
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #80
Wrangler

Digitally projected, not digitally shot. When a digital camera can produce images as good as "Last Samurai", then perhaps there will be some true weight to the "Film is Dead" battle call.
Old December 30th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Personally i think film will always have a place, theres something about thats different...

I have a digital rebel and i still use my film camera as well, depends on what im doing, theres just something about it that keeps calling me back
http://www.secondsection.com
Riley Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #82
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I mentioned in another post earlier that I attended a conference here in Japan this year where some speakers introduced upcoming releases in theatrical-quality digital projectors. They have a 10-year timeline mapped out before achieving the "ideal" situation, but as early as next year they'll have much cheaper and better models being released, and within 5 years they'll have models at such low prices, and with such high performance that I can't imagine any theater not converting.

It would be interesting to see how this timeline coincides with the HD cam and HD post-processing development timelines.
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #83
Outer Circle

When HD cams are able to capture 60,000,000 pixels, film will be history and mini DV cams will be passe. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News