WD HD Media Player (with HDMI out etc.) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #31
Major Player

I ordered mine last night and started ripping all my dvd's onto my external HD. Has anyone played a movie they purchased in Itunes on this thing? I'm wondering if it would work.
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Major Player

Also, for some reason when I'm ripping some DVD's it's ripping to about 85% and it says "there is not enough disk space" but I have 200gig free. I tried putting it on my C drive and copying it over to my external HD and it still is saying this. this has happened with a few DVDs.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harris View Post
Also, for some reason when I'm ripping some DVD's it's ripping to about 85% and it says "there is not enough disk space" but I have 200gig free. I tried putting it on my C drive and copying it over to my external HD and it still is saying this. this has happened with a few DVDs.
I'm just guessing but check to be certain that your external drive is not format FAT32 as it has a 4gb file size limit. This may be required for the WD HD player but I read somewhere that it will read NTFS, it is just slower? That doesn't make sense but at least check.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #34
Trustee

Can someone explain in detail how to get a blu-ray disk to play. Yes, I have a blu-ray burner/reader, yes I have AnyDVD-HD and yes I have all the files from the disk on my hard drive. I can play them using PowerDVD. But once I copy these large set of files how do I start the blu-ray movie from the WD-Media Player?

Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #35
Major Player

That does make sense, I think it's been stopping just at or around 4gig. How do I change this so I can get the entire disk on my harddrive?

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
That does make sense, I think it's been stopping just at or around 4gig. How do I change this so I can get the entire disk on my harddrive?

Thanks
Hopfully this is a new disk with very little on it. You are going to need to format it, which will destroy all data on it. If it is new, and you have little on it just yet, you can copy it to another drive. Of course if you have a ton of data on it you can still copy it, it will just take a while. In windows, right click on the drive in my computer and click format. Then choose NTFS and accept default cluster sizes. Then let us know if this works with the WD media player for sure.

Good Luck.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #37
Major Player

It is set on NTFS and under "allocation unit size" is says "Default allocation size". Under "format Options" is has check boxes that says "quick format" and "emable compression". Do i click any of those?
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
It is set on NTFS and under "allocation unit size" is says "Default allocation size". Under "format Options" is has check boxes that says "quick format" and "emable compression". Do i click any of those?
Are you saying it is already NTFS? Or did you change it and you are just asking which settings to use now? If so, use default allocation unit size and quick format can be checked. I would not check the enable compression option. You shouldn't need it and it will likely confuse the WD device.

If it is already NTFS, I would not bother formatting it obviously.
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #39
Major Player

Does anyone know if any music,movies orTV shows purchased in itunes can be played though this unit?
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Does anyone know if any music,movies orTV shows purchased in itunes can be played though this unit?
I think it says specifically on the box that it can't play any of those.
Sean Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #41
Major Player

It does not look like this device plays ISO files. This is why I just ordered the popcornhour device. Hope to have it this week to try out.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #42
Major Player

I just received mine and it's pretty cool All the DVD's i ripped onto my HD look great!!! Now I just need to find out how I can get high def movies on to my harddrive to watch.

any suggestions?
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #43
Major Player

So i guess the next step is does anyone know any software that would convert my itunes movies / shows so i can watch them on this thing?
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #44
Major Player

Ok so I've had a week to play with it. I have ripped all my dvd's onto my harddrive and they play GREAT. The only issue i have is that I can't play AVI files unless i use the software given on a CD to convert it. I'm not really understanding why it wont play AVI from the start. That's a very common file type for footage you capture from a camera.
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #45
Trustee

Greg, avi is a 'container' that can support footage compressed using a wide variety of compression formats. The player has to have the appropriate algorithms to decode each type of compressed footage - for example mjpeg (motion-jpeg), DV, Divx, and so on...

So the CD software you have is using a codec supported by your player, whereas your other avis' codec isn't supported.

There a freeware utility called GSpot that can determine the codec for an avi: Super Quick Start
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News